Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 install fail!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 John-Mack

John-Mack

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hello, I am trying to install Windows 7 on my computer, however after after the computer reboots after the initial components are installed it hangs up  on the "completing install entry.

The computer is an a hp6500f that was I purchased at a yard sale. As it did not have a hard drive or re installation DVD I installed a used /blank  hard drive and  had a Win 7 64 bit dvd install disk that I tried using. The install disk is for a Dell computer and as I have an HP could this be the problem??

The sticker on this computer says it came with Vista!! but I assume it will work with Windows 7??

Any help would be much appreciated..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:25 PM

Dell installation media...are devised for specific Dell systems.  HP installation media...are devised for specific HP systems.

Neither of these can be used in the same manner as a MS Genuine Windows install CD/DVD on systems for which the media were not intended/developed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 November 2016 - 02:26 PM.

#3 John-Mack

John-Mack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:57 PM

Thank you Louis!! That's my problem then. I will have to try and find a HP or generic install disc then.

Thanks again for you help..

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:05 PM

Even if you find a HP Windows 7 install disk you will still need to purchase a license for it as the computer was installed with Vista.

A linux distro like Mint Mate would run well on this computer if it has 4GB or RAM as shown in the specs.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c01463058

#5 John-Mack

John-Mack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:13 PM

Thanks JohnC!!
This is exactly what I plan on doing!! I have Mint Xfce running on it now but I thought about dual booting with Windows!
I know it's a matter of opinion but would you suggest Mate over Xfce??
The machine does have 4GB of memory but was not sure if Mate would run ok on it!!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:15 PM

I don't have enough experience with Mint Mate but if Xfce suits your needs go with it. You can always boot a live DVD disk of Mate or even Cinnamon to see if each is better to your liking.

Edit: Just be prepared for a terrible experience in trying to update a clean install of Windows 7. There have been many threads on the Windows 7 forum concerning problems with updating clean installs and solutions.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 November 2016 - 05:17 PM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:37 PM

The install disk is for a Dell computer

As others have said, that is the problem. If you purchase a retail version of Windows 7 you will have no problems with the installation. In addition, If you do that, you must find all the system drivers for that Dell unit, including the chipset, audio and video drivers. for the motherboard. That can be an ordeal.

Edited by ranchhand_, 13 November 2016 - 07:01 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 John-Mack

John-Mack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:07 PM

Thanks ranchhand,

It looks like I will be sticking with Linux and XP untill I figure out what to do. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users