Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 “Xenial Xerus” - minimal - command line installation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xspeed

xspeed

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:10 AM

Hi,

Windows 10 has already being installed before doing the following:

If it possible to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" from Installation/MinimalCD on HDD as minimal as possible LowMemorySystems like in here: Windows Dual Boot together with Ubuntu 16.04 “Xenial Xerus” - minimal - command line installation

I would like only the kernel, and to boot in tty, and only use fvwm, no login manager, no other environment at all, if it is possible to work like this in Dual boot with Windows.

First I couldn't boot the new USB Stick created the before mentioned Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" in UEFI mode like I've done with a few minutes ago, just for test with the Windows 10 USB Stick.

I had to boot it in Legacy mode, in order for the USB Stick of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" to run.

I installed the before mentioned Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - command line installation.

GRUB has been installed on ext4, dev/sdb2, ehere the root / patition is situated.

sda was the USB Stick.

All done, now in UEFI starts only Windows 10 automatically, and in Legacy mode, no system to start at all.

I don't know if I will use only the Legacy mode, will find the HDD at all(from my trying until now in Legacy only the USB could start).

When I try to access from WIndows the partition where Ubuntu should, I can't access it, and it asks only for formatting it.

Do you consider that if I would do this with a full Lubuntu desktop + login manager (not Ubuntu) installation would work, even with the UEFI and Legacy issues?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:50 PM

Hi

Heres the best way to install Linux along side Windows 10 in UEFI mode. Pay special attention to the last bit where you need to change boot order using efibootmgr.

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/11/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-alongside.html

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

Before attempting to dual-boot, it is advisable to backup anything you don't want to lose (eg: data, operating systems, etc). This way if you install to the wrong place, or if something goes wrong, you have backups to restore from.

If it possible to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" from Installation/MinimalCD on HDD as minimal as possible

The Minimal CD is called minimal because the ISO is smaller than the regular installation ISOs; the installation size isn't. Instead of containing the installation packages on the ISO, it downloads them during the installation process, which is why the ISO is smaller.

If you want the smallest installation offered, use Ubuntu Base (previously called Ubuntu Core). There isn't an installer for Ubuntu Base, you must install it manually. Unless you are fairly experienced with Ubuntu, I wouldn't recommend this, because it will most likely end in frustration.

I haven't used Ubuntu Core (Ubuntu Base) in quite a while, so I can't describe in detail the installation process, but in brief, you're extracting the operating system from an archive to a partition, chrooting in, configuring things, and installing your boot-programs (eg: Grub). The hardest part for me was configuring networking, which I'm terrible at :P.

I would like only the kernel, and to boot in tty, and only use fvwm, no login manager, no other environment at all

Ubuntu is a set of software packaged together. No matter how minimal you go, there will be more than a kernel, and terminal. If your goal is to have an Ubuntu install without a pre-installed desktop environment, try Ubuntu Server. You can install FVWM on it if you like. Alternatively, install Ubuntu Desktop, and uninstall the things you don't want.

I had to boot it in Legacy mode, in order for the USB Stick of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" to run.

Ubuntu Minimal CD isn't equipped for booting under UEFI. Do NOT install it in legacy mode, unless all of your operating systems (eg: Windows 10) are also installed in legacy mode. (Note: this is general advice, and doesn't apply to all scenarios.)

All done, now in UEFI starts only Windows 10 automatically, and in Legacy mode, no system to start at all.

You installed Ubuntu in a manner where it expects a MBRPT (Master Boot Record Partition Table), but you are probably using a GPT (Guid Partition Table), because Windows 10 requires GPT for UEFI computers.

When I try to access from WIndows the partition where Ubuntu should, I can't access it, and it asks only for formatting it.

Windows 10 doesn't support the filesystems used by Ubuntu. You will not be able to acccess them from Windows, without installing third-party software.

Do you consider that if I would do this with a full Lubuntu desktop + login manager (not Ubuntu) installation would work, even with the UEFI and Legacy issues?

I'm not sure what you mean. Lubuntu does support UEFI, if that's what you are asking.

Good luck with your project :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users