Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot remove files in Winsxs folder for Server 2008 R2 SP1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lilbits99

lilbits99

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:00 PM

Hey guys --

I am working with a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 which continuously has problems with disk space on its hard drive.  It's currently down to less than 200MB on the drive, and I have found approximately 8GBs of data in the Winsxs folder that I have been trying to "safely" remove in various ways; including using cleanmgr.exe commands and DISM cleanup-image commands.  Nothing has worked so far.

Does anyone have suggestions that I can try next to ensure this server can remain up and active.  It currently has at any given time 12-15 users utilizing it.

Thanks,

LB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:30 PM

You have 200Mb free, how much is being used?

Add the desktop experience feature using the server manager. This will give you the disk cleanup option. That my help temporarily to free up some space.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 11 November 2016 - 10:31 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 lilbits99

lilbits99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:44 PM

You have 200Mb free, how much is being used?

Add the desktop experience feature using the server manager. This will give you the disk cleanup option. That my help temporarily to free up some space.

Sneaky, thanks for the response.  What's remaining is out of about 30 GB that's allocated for the C drive. 

I've come across articles on the desktop experience feature, but I was reading more concerns than optimism in using it.  I wasn't sure if it was because of attempting to use it on a 2008 R2 or for other reasons that was far beyond my scope.

I did try cleanmgr which included the KB hotfix that several techs recommended trying -- it was my understanding that it was the same as using the feature Microsoft released, but again.. the hotfix along with cleanmgr commands did not resolve the issue.  The option to even remove update files, etc doesn't even present itself with cleanmgr.

Am I wrong in my thinking that the desktop feature and the hotfix with cleanmgr is the same thing?

Thanks, again for responding!

-LB

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:02 PM

You are correct they are the same (I didn't realize that). 30GB is quite small for the C: partition (I have ran into this issue with OEM configured partitions [Dell] before.) Your best options are to expand the C: partition using a third party application such as Gparted (free) or Aomei Disk-partition. You will be constantly chasing the free space on the server if you dont expand the partition. Another option would be to backup and rebuild the server with new partition sizes.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 12 November 2016 - 11:03 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users