Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen of Death. Win 7 Dell Latitude D620

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sstimson

sstimson

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:37 PM

Woke up the computer and all I got was a black screen and a white arrow (mouse cursor). Safe Mode all Version Give the Same. Can only use the computer from bootable media and the repair option under F8. Not sure what programs I need to download / run. Typing this on a different computer. Ran Superantivirus from a Hirens Boot USB and it found things on drive "X" ( likely false positives) and the cookies. Last working did not change anything. Awaiting your answer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:11 AM

Start with these free bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Also, use the Hirens disk to backup your stuff - just in case this isn't fixable.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 sstimson

sstimson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:40 PM

Memory check 11 runs no errors

Hard Drive Diagnosis

Seagate - Seatools for Dos V2.23

St9120822AS / SN# 5LZ6BPLV / Rev. 3.BHE / 120.034 GB

Short Test Passed without Error

Long Test Passed after Fix

Code error ( not sure of code because of a power outage and after that I tried the memory check)

Looking like the Hard Drive might be causing it. Let seagate tools try to repair harrd drive

Update: Rerun Hard Drive : SeaTools Test Code - Long Test : ABD8EA56 2 Errors

Edited by sstimson, 16 November 2016 - 10:58 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:09 AM

The repair can damage files on your hard drive

So, you can be missing data, you may have OS problems, or it might not do anything.

At work we find that using the repair is usually just a temporary solution - and that the hard drives often die again in the near future.
We always suggest getting a new hard drive at this point.

As the Long Test shows errors after the fix, this is confirmed.

Back up your data as soon as you can.  The more you use the drive, the more likely it is to die completely.

If you can't get into Windows, you may have to either boot from a bootable OS disk (such as the Ultimate Boot CD) or slave the hard drive to another computer in order to copy over your data.

You'll need a new hard drive and recovery media to reinstall W7

Here's a link for Dell recovery media (for US users):  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html#dell

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users