Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC hard crashes during gaming

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zurko1234

Zurko1234

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:35 PM

Details

My PC shuts off during gaming. This usually happens after my PC begins to run really slowly (start menu loads slowly, 15-20 FPS in game etc).

When it happens my screens are first to go off to black and I get a no signal message. After this my USB devices like the LEDs on my mouse and

keyboard go off along with the LEDs on the graphics card. Then some fan starts spinning up really loudly (not sure which one as the pc crashes just after this).

And finally, my PC turns off with an audible click from the PSU.

Games

My PC tends to only crash on the most demanding games I play like BF1 and rarely on CSGO.This particular crash first happened a couple of days ago

but since I bought a new RX 480 its been crashing through simple DirectX errors in Battlefield Hardline and Battlefield 1and also blue

screens with 'kernel power 41' errors. 

Computer Specs

-Windows 10 64bit

-RX 480 G1 Gaming 4G @ stock speed

-i5 4690k @ stock speed

-G-Skill 8GB (4x2) Ripjaws X DDR3 2133mhz

-MSI Z97 Gaming 5

-Hyper 212 EVO

-Dual monitors

-Antec High Current Gamer 850w Bronze

Attempted Solutions (that failed)

-Using DDU to wipe all display drivers and then reinstalled them from AMD 

-Using DDU to wipe all display drivers and then reinstalled them from Gigabyte 

-Ran Microsoft memory diagnostic tool

-Ran Memtest86 (0 errors after 12 passes)

-Ran countless recommended registry cleaners

-Ran HD Tune Pro on my hdd with windows installed for a disk defrag and scanned for errors

-Ran overnight Malwarebytes scans and have Bitdefender so I'm pretty sure this isnt caused by a virus

-Checked PCI-E cables for all my hard drives and for my graphics card on both ends

-Checked CPU, RAM, and GPU temps while in game, all below 65 degrees celcius with GPU generally topping out at 60

Also, after checking the event logs I found that this crashed around the same time my PC shut off

\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\XTREME GAMING ENGINE\AtiToo

Something to keep in mind is that my PC rarely crashed with my old GPU (R9 280) and now it crashes 2-3 times a week.

After going through and reading endless forum posts with a useless OP who never responds i'd like to try and get some 

answers and fix this PC.

Also, after checking the event logs I found that this crashed around the same time my PC shut off

\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\XTREME GAMING ENGINE\AtiToo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:52 AM

Sorry for the delay, just returned from traveling and am still very busy.

For starters, uninstall the ATI Tool and see if that stops the crashes.

Beyond that, wait until it does it again, recover it, then generate these 2 sets of reports for us to have a look at:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

BTW - we do not recommend the use of registry cleaners here.  They have been known to cause problems and to even render systems unbootable.

Edited by usasma, 14 November 2016 - 05:54 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Zurko1234

Zurko1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:32 PM

Hey thanks for the reply, 

So just roughly an hour before these reports were generated my PC crashed, however in a slightly different way with only the monitors staying on but being black. I think my AMD driver crashed after having a look at the event viewer. 

As for the registry cleaners I was getting desperate and looking for a quick n easy fix though that seems unlikely..

Anyway, here are the reports :)

Attached Files

Edited by Zurko1234, 15 November 2016 - 06:33 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:41 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding.  There's not enough time in the day to do everything that I have to do :0(

Unfortunately it appears that the system has pirated software.
Please get a legitimate copy installed and we'll be glad to help.

Here's suggestions on how to ensure that your version is legitimate:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/genuine

Please be aware that we may not be able to fix it (as the hacks that were done to activate it will cause the OS to behave differently than we expect it to). If that's the case, our efforts to help may just waste your time. Secondly, the forum rules prohibit assisting with pirated software - so the topic would be closed if that is the case.

As a courtesy, I will offer an analysis of your issues using the reports you provided.
I will not answer any questions about the analysis until the system is made legitimate.
If you do make it legitimate, please submit a new set of reports for us to check.

Just FYI, sometimes the owner won't know about this.  So here's 2 scenarios that might ring a bell:
- if they had a "friend" help with the computer - and the "friend" installed a pirated copy.
- or they used a copy that they had from another OEM computer.  The OEM license is tied to the hardware that it came from - so you can't just use it on another system (that means that it's pirated).

And here's the analysis:

The Admin log file doesn't show any patterns that I can detect, although it does show a lot of errors.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version V1.11) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

You have 4 hard drives.  An older or low-powered PSU can cause problems with the system.

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html
NOTE:  The uninstaller may not find the SPTD.sys driver.  Don't worry about it, just let us know in your post.
NOTE2:  The latest version has an SPTD2.sys driver - the uninstaller is on the same page as the SPTD.sys driver - just download the version for W10!

MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner (along with EVGA Precision) are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

Beyond this I have these 5 suggestions:
1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for your system from the manufacturer's website (to include BIOS/UEFI).
3.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for the programs and any additional hardware installed on your computer from the developer's website
4.  Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
5.  If ALL of the hardware tests pass, then run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

XXXXX

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users