Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD RW+ DVD R Drive not working in Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alex984

alex984

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1721 with Windows 8 (I Upgraded it from XP) and the cdrw dvd drive is not recognized by the system i checked device manager but the cd rw dvd drive is not showing up it has power to it but is there a driver for it? I need it working so i can install Windows Longhorn Build 4074 or Windows Whistler or Windows 8 Beta so it will be easy on my cpu and physical memory usage PLZ Help!

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 11 November 2016 - 05:48 PM.
Title edited to add negative.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

If you go bak into 'Device manager' and click 'View' then 'Show hidden devices' does it show up ?  If it does, click on the entry 'DVD/CD ROM drives', double click on the name of your drive and then select 'Drivers' from the gray pop-up box.

At the bottom of the 'Driver' page you will see 'Uninstall'. Click this and follow through a couple of warnings, accepting them, and delete the drivers. Then re-boot. Windows should automatically install fresh drivers for this device, and it should then show up and work.

If it doesn't, you may have corrupt driver files in which case run SFC /SCANNOW which will attempt to repair any faulty Windows files. To do this -

Press 'Win Key + X'. This will bring up a menu in which you should see 'Command (Administrator) and click on this. (It is possible you will only see 'Command' in which case RIGHT click on it and then select 'Run as administrator'). This will bring up a black screen with white text. type SFC /SCANNOW (note the space SFC and the /) then press 'Enter', then go and make yourself a coffee or pour a beer. It can take up to about 20 minutes to finish but do NOT interrupt it. When it is finished it will say if it fixed problems or not. Then re-boot and see if your missing drive shows up.

If it doesn't, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:34 PM

Hmmm very nice, crystal clear and concise help, the more I read in here the more I appreciate this site/forum. Two bits.... for what its worth, also not good to play with virtual drives/ghost/clone toys as I know because for a while some of my peripherals didn't know what they were after a reboot.  Curious, what does title edited to add negative mean?

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:36 AM

Hmmm very nice, crystal clear and concise help, the more I read in here the more I appreciate this site/forum. Two bits.... for what its worth, also not good to play with virtual drives/ghost/clone toys as I know because for a while some of my peripherals didn't know what they were after a reboot.  Curious, what does title edited to add negative mean?

Please don't ask questions or make comments in a thread where help is being offered to another member.

It's not very polite :)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

Please don't ask questions or make comments in a thread where help is being offered to another member.

It's not very polite :)

I'm not sure that I would categorize this as being impolite, but it does stray from the topic.  This type of post tends to take the topic in a direction away from being properly addressed.  For this reason it is a good idea to PM the member you are asking questions to ask your question. 

Now that I'm just as guilty, let's get on with the topic. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 alex984

alex984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:32 PM

no it does not work is their any other methods i can try to fix this problem?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:53 PM

@alex984

Is the optical drive recognized in the BIOS?

Push on the tray to make sure the drive is properly seated.

If deleting the driver and then restarting the computer doesn't resolve this and the sfc /scannow doesn't work you could disable the Upper and Lower filters in the registry.  If you have experience in editing the registry and feel comfortable making a edit I will provide instructions for this.  I will also provide a link to a application which will backup the registry, it also includes instructions in the form of a video.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:26 PM

I have no wish to embarrass the OP but the original title of this topic was 'CD ... drive working in Win 8'. As this was obviously not what was intended by the OP I added the negative 'not'.

Editing titles to better reflect an OP's problems is one of the tasks that falls to moderators.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:54 PM

@alex984  #6

You also have to consider the possibility that the drive has died. It is not a very common event but it does happen, sometimes it is the laser LEDs that fail, sometimes the electronics around it. If this is the case the only cure is replacement. You could either replace the internal drive - a very simple operation - or use an external USB drive. They are not particularly expensive.

A very quick google show Amazon has having internal drives for about $US 40 - and you could probably better this price - and external USB drives starting at about $US 15 upwards.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 alex984

alex984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:10 AM

yes the drive is dead  and the motherboard got fried because of overheat i was about to make it into a Windows 98 Laptop for retrogaming and i couldn't afford to fix it so i got rid of it it was a long time ago.

Edited by alex984, 27 April 2018 - 08:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users