Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender malicious pop-up, She allowed remote access....help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 justmeinflorida

justmeinflorida

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:30 PM

Hello again,

After helping my friend fix her computer (thank you nasdaq), she left it on all night for two nights and got a Windows Defender pop-up. Instead of calling me, she contacted the 1-888 number and allowed remote access to who she thought was a Microsoft rep. Thank god she didn't close out any windows after her session with this guy. He looked through EVERYTHING! Memory Info., Scheduled Tasks, Disk Drive, Operating System, Recent Events, CPU, Process, cmd.exe (commands) etc...then wanted to charge her money to fix the said problems. Showed her what looks to be a bogus Event Log and wanted her to contact Sisco, he was going to connect her via online but she declined for a second opinion (me/us). I have phone screen shots of the all he did/looked at, if you need them.

Let me know if you need a Farbar done, not doing anything without the go ahead.

P.S. I had her turn off her router

Awaiting your response

justme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:01 PM

hi,

​Yes, post the two FRST logs and we will go from there. Usually only online once or twice per day so you may not get a reply back from me until the following day.

​Start at step 6 here about posting FRST logs unless your already familiar with it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users