Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does situation indicate FAILING PSU or MALWARE/virus?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stereoeggs

Stereoeggs

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

Hi,

My situation: My Windows 7 (64-bit PRO) computer is crashing (all of a sudden, there is no power and it stops running) after I have booted from a bootable anti-malware rescue disk, while the anti-malware program is running.

The computer is crashing after the anti-malware program has been running approximately 20-30 minutes, and the crash happens before the anti-malware program has found any malware or viruses. (So far, no malware or viruses have been found - but the anti-malware program has never finished its scan, due to crashing.)

Question: Is the crashing more likely due to a failing power supply...or more likely due to undetected malware or viruses?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Edited by hamluis, 11 November 2016 - 03:14 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:17 PM

You are rather limited in your assessment of what could be wrong...crashes are often caused by situations having nothing to do with either of the roads/possibilieis you seem to view.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

\Louis

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:43 PM

Make sure your computer is not overheating follow hamluis instructions please.

Posted Image

#4 Stereoeggs

Stereoeggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for all the help, tips, and advice.

I ended up posting my question at several websites. In addition to the helpful suggestions I received here, I also received multiple suggestions (at the other websites) that I might have had a failing PSU. 

After a lot of time and thought, I decided to take the plunge and buy a new power supply so that I could verify whether or not my original one was faulty. After I put in the new power supply, my computer stopped crashing and everything has been running smoothly. So...it was a faulty power supply that was causing the problems. 

If putting in a new power supply had not solved the problem, I definitely would have followed Louis' instructions, and I very much appreciate him posting them. (I'm keeping a link to this page so I can readily find his instructions in the future, if needed.)

Thanks, again, for your responses. All of them helped me figure out what was wrong.  :)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:38 PM

Feedback appreciated...glad that you have overcome the problem :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users