Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do i need MBAE or EMET if i have Java & Flash Uninstalled?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fred9e

Fred9e

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:13 PM

I have both Java & Flash uninstalled/disabled (Set to click-to-play) and was wondering if there would be a point using MBAE or EMET.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,745 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:37 PM

Yes for Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.

Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Using EMET with MBAE is not really necessary.

This is a quote from Fabian Wosar, a Security Colleague and developer who works for Emsisoft from HMP.Alert & MBAE, Post #7

EMET, HMP.Alert and MBAE can all be useful under certain circumstances. The most effective step to fending of exploits is to reduce your attack surface. Keep the software you use up-to-date and try to get rid of Java and Adobe plugins. If you can't get rid of them completely, at least turn them on only for the sites that you know won't work without them. All browsers that I have used in the past year have features which makes it very easy to limit plugins to just a few sites. If for some reason you can't do either of that, then adding exploit protection can be somewhat useful.

EMET is not a tool I would recommend for novice users since it needs to be configured properly. If you are going to use EMET with MBAE, please read the note about it in Known Issues & Conflicts: Third-Party Applications.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Struppigel

Struppigel

Karsten Hahn, G DATA Malware Analyst

• Malware Response Team
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:39 PM

You removed two possible infection vectors, but there are many more. Exploits can affect everything, your PDF viewer, your image viewer, your email client, any browser extension, the browser itself, ...

The possibilities are endless. So yes, it makes sense to use MBAE or EMET even if Flash and Java are disabled. As long as your system is somehow connected to the Internet, other devices or removable media, it makes sense to think about exploit protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users