Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 18 and SSD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dishdude1

dishdude1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:05 PM

I am doing an install of Linux Mint Mate 18 on an Acer B116 with a new SSD. After installation, are there any settings in the OS that I should change?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

The only thing you should do is turn on the firewall! Open up a terminal and type in:

sudo ufw enable

then hit enter. Should prompt you for your password. You'll then be good to go!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:47 PM

I'm on Mint 18 with an SSD, and you want to make sure you are using the recommended video driver (mine happens to be Nvidia) other wise it might be a little flicker-y. but other than that and the firewall as DeimosChaos had mentioned you should be fine right out of the box!

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,074 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:43 PM

Should work by default without changing anything except for using a separate /home partition and using btrfs for root (this will make things very fast plus BTRFS works great on a SSD)

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 dishdude1

dishdude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:40 PM

Just did a typical install, boot times are much quicker!

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:57 AM

The cool thing about SSD install, since Ubuntu 14.04/Linux Mint 17, SSD install is just like that of Windows, the partitions are aligned properly & as far as the install goes, you're good to go! :thumbsup:

However you may want to adjust Swappiness to a value of 1 with a SSD to limit wear. Here's a tutorial with needed info. Note that all of the items needs to be added, and be sure to disable hibernation, read Item or section 10 onwards in regard to this. Anything you don't understand, feel free to ask. :)

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

Note that you'll need some tools to work with to perform many actions, here's a single command that'll add several useful ones.

sudo apt-get install doublecmd-gtk leafpad pavucontrol catfish

Good Luck with the SSD, these has made my computing life much better since early 2012, have began my journey with the PCIe models, which are 3-4x faster than SATA-3 ones, on both reads & writes. Have some smaller SATA-3 models stored in anti-static bags, for 'just in case' needed one day. At today's pricing, no need to dip below 250GiB, unless one can afford only the 120-128GiB models. Just for the extra speed alone is one reason, the other is the larger the size, the TBW allowed before the SSD dies, which doubles between 120-128GiB & 250-256GiB models. One has to read the specs closely to see these things, otherwise are missed, and with usually only a $30-35 difference between the size brackets, a no-brainer decision. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 12 November 2016 - 02:58 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users