Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer shuts itself off if left idle for a few minutes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mo12

mo12

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:24 PM

Hi, I have Windows 10 and I noticed yesterday that if I leave the computer idle for a few minutes, it shuts itself off. It seems to freeze often as well and i do a lot of refreshing of pages. I am a real novice at computers so I would require very detailed help. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:55 PM

It does help when posting if you say whether you have a desktop or a laptop and give the make and model or the main specs.

To deal with the shutting itself off problem. This sounds like you need to change the power settings in 'Control panel'. Follow these steps -

Press at the same time the 'Win Key + X'. This brings up a menu, click on 'Control panel' then, when it opens, click on 'Power options'. In the middle of the screen that appears you should see two main options - 'Balanced' and 'Power saver'. Normally 'Balanced' is the default and has a dot in the circle. To the right of this you should see 'Change plan settings', click on this. this is where it matters if it is a laptop or a desktop !

If it is a desktop you will only get the options 'Turn off the display' and 'Put the computer to sleep'. On my desktop I have these set to 20 Minutes and never respectivley. If yours are set very much shorter this would explain your problem.

If it is a laptop you get similar choices but two sets of them - 'On battery' and 'On mains' and three options for each - 'Dim display', 'Turn off display' and 'Put to sleep'. On battery I usually set laptops to 5 minutes, 10 minutes and 20 minutes and on mains to 5, 10 and never respectively.

Check these and post back if it it doesn't improve the situation.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 mo12

mo12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:40 PM

Hi Chris, thank you for your help! And yes, my computer is a desk top. Everything went really wonkey after an update that occurred two days ago. must have been a big update because it took forever but after it was done, everything looked so different! I had this strange looking screen which was requesting my password just like it was starting all over again. Ask Cortana came back and I had at one point gotten rid of that so I don't know what happened.  Anyway, after that, the computer kept shutting itself totally off, the light was out on the actual computer and I had to press the button to get back on. The computer functioned okay while in use, but when I walked away to do something and came back, there it was....off again! Now I followed your instructions although I had never pressed the windows key and an X to go into control panel before. When I got in there, I had to type power options in the search box but it came up. The circle for high performance was blacked in so first I went and clicked to make the circle in Balanced performance black, then to the right of that I clicked on change plan settings. For turn off the display, I chose 20 minutes like you said and then I chose NEVER for putting the computer to sleep. I then clicked save changes and restarted the computer. Once on again I walked away at 5:09 and as of 5:30, it had not shut itself off. But right to the 20 minute mark, the display turned off. So I am being cautiously optimistic right now. I am going to be using the computer for a while but once I can leave it idle again, I will monitor it and see if it stays on until I actually want to shut it off. I might also consult with you on other conditions with this computer such as having to refresh so many times.

#4 mo12

mo12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:05 PM

Just to confirm: you totally helped me! My computer stays on until I want to shut it off. I mentioned that this happened after an update and just now, another update was happening telling me not to turn off the computer. It's done now but I am afraid to restart as that is when the trouble happened the other day; I did not recognize my screen. So the message says the computer will restart in the after hours so I think I'll just let it do its thing when I'm asleep. Can you tell me why these updates sometimes seem to screw things up rather than fix things and when that happens, what can a person do? Is there a way to undo these updates? Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users