Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows Services Executable" driving me nuts....

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:56 AM

.....Slowing down my pc and hogging around 40% of my notebook's CPU resources for prolonged periods......

So I followed instructions on a YouTube tutorial and disabled Win Defender Cached Maintenance, Clean-up, Scheduled Scan Tasks and Win Defender Verification via task scheduler within administrative tools.

Ok. Problem solved. But I'm just wondering if I have compromised my real-time security/protection by doing so? Also I am even more curious to know why "Windows Services Executable" was being so active in the first place and why it was using resources for such prolonged periods of time? 

Windows Defender status appears to be fine, real time protection is on, so I assume I am still protected in real time. But as I say, I am still a little worried by having disabled the above features in order to improve the performance of my device, as well as to ensure it runs cooler. 

Anyone have any thoughts, please? Until about a week ago, this wasn't an issue.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users