Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Selling Galaxy S4

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dphenry157

dphenry157

• Members
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:08 AM

Planning to sell my "old" phone.  What do I need to do to prepare for sale.  What deletions, etc?

Edit: Moved topic from Cell Phones to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 elizbethsewell666

elizbethsewell666

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:06 AM

You should just factory reset your phone and your phone is ready to sell and your all data is safe.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

You should just factory reset your phone and your phone is ready to sell and your all data is safe.

That actually is not true, and has recently received a lot of press.  A factory reset is not unlike deleting all files on a hard disc drive.  It doesn't really erase anything but instead marks all the data blocks in the phone's storage as free again.  There are lots of "undelete" utilities for any platform you can name that can be used to reconstruct virtually all data if someone wants to do it.

Poster quietman7 just posted about this general topic within the last few days, and I snagged a part of that post.  The easiest article to look at is at the Consumer Reports website entitled, How to Get Personal Data off Your Devices.  On Android devices that entails encrypting the device first, then doing a factory reset.  I guess a straight factory reset would work if you have always had your data encrypted, but I never encrypt the data on my phone.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

Wouldn't a more 'unsophisticated' way of doing it be to factory reset your smartphone. Then, to download over wi-fi a couple of 4K movies overnight so that all your storage becomes full and then factory resetting your phone once again. So that the partions could be overwritten with new information and the original would be completely erased, no? Or am I missing something, as I feel I am? Maybe some browser passwords wouldn't get overwritten and thus be recoverable still, I don't know. What do you think?
:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 28 March 2017 - 03:29 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

Essentially if you encrypt the device you don't have to worry about any lack of erasure secondary to your method not being able to use all available space or not working on restricted areas.

It takes as long, or longer, to do what you propose as it does for the device to encrypt itself.

Your method would work in theory, though, provided everything but the OS got overwritten.  I still would go the encrypt then factory reset mode even if you need to download an encryption app if your version of Android is too early to have encryption as part of Android.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

Got it! Thank you for answering yet another of my inquiries. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users