Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undelivered emails

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sigord

Sigord

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:31 AM

Four times I sent an email to someone 3 using Hotmail 1 using gmail. each time I get the silly message below, without showing a reason for the failure.  I get no such warnings with all my other emails.

Any suggestions. A friend of mine also sent such an email but it has not been returned and so he is waiting for reply. 

Gordon

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sigord

Sigord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:09 AM

I seem to have discovered the problem thanks to trying to send it by Thunderbird instead of MS Outlook . Sensible Thunderbird displays the message below 

Reporting-MTA: dns; SNT004-OMC1S18.hotmail.com

Final-recipient: RFC822
MOD EDIT: address remove to protect from Spam bots
Action: failed
X-Supplementary-Info: < #5.5.0 smtp;552-5.7.0 This message was blocked because
its content presents a potential>

My email contains a zip file as an attachment I used as I know I cannot send EXE files. It appears now we are also banned from sending zip files. I wander what the nerds will ban next without bothering to tell us. I have uploaded the ZIP file to my site for downloading.

Edited by boopme, 11 November 2016 - 03:09 PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:52 AM

What version of Outlook are you using?   I've never seen Outlook truncate a bounce message such as the one you say shows up in Thunderbird.  I'm just wondering so that if I have a client with whatever flavor of MS-Outlook you're using encounters something similar I have the version info in the back of my mind.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:31 PM

Those "nerds" would be Google. They don't block zip files, but only zip or compressed files(RAR) that have any of the file types found on this list.  Also, Google blocks any encrypted ZIP or RAR because if encrypted, it can't tell what programs are being sent. My guess is the new zip is encrypted? 

Also, Gmail handles BILLIONS of users, so sending out a notification of a change to a security practice isn't practical. Also looks to be in place for over a year. I am pretty sure if you had included the entire error, it would have shown a link to a google support page explaining the issue. It is up to the user to know the terms of service for the network they are operating on. 

Edited by Trikein, 12 November 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:16 PM

Hi, @Sigord:

I suggest editing post #2 in this thread to remove from public view the recipient's email address.

Posting it in a public forum could result in the address being harvested by spammers.

Thanks,

MM

#6 Sigord

Sigord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:17 AM

Thanks for your help folks. Thank goodness they still allow the use of ZIP files on sites such as my little apps at http://www.sigord.co.uk/Submits/Software.htm

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:51 AM

But I just said they don't block Zip files overall. I just created a test .RTF and then compressed it normally to ZIP using built in Windows 7 client. I then attached the test.zip to gmail email and sent it to my gmail account and got it no problem. So they DON'T block Zip. See my previous post for what they DO block. It is OK if you don't understand(it's complicated), but please don't restate misinformation to others.

--047d7b66f89fc13e2205411c8b6f--
--047d7b66f89fc13e2a05411c8b71
Content-Type: application/zip; name="test zip.zip"
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="test zip.zip"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
X-Attachment-Id: f_ivfe0k380

Edited by Trikein, 12 November 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#8 Sigord

Sigord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:21 AM

I should have explained I only tried once with Gmail but some three times with Hotmail and all failed.

If anyone wishes to experiment the zip file is now at

http://www.sigord.co.uk/TEMP/Newtest.zip

My friend who uses it to compile a list HAM radio contests has now managed to download it. 

#9 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:33 AM

But I just said they don't block Zip files overall. I just created a test .RTF and then compressed it normally to ZIP using built in Windows 7 client. I then attached the test.zip to gmail email and sent it to my gmail account and got it no problem. So they DON'T block Zip.

Yup, I've never had a problem with gmail and zip attachments.

I just conducted a similar test using both the gmail web interface and a gmail message sent from my email client (Thunderbird), using a zip file created from a PDF with 7zip 16.04 under Win7/64-bit.

No problem sending or receiving the email or the zip attachment.

Sorry, @Sigord, but I cannot reproduce the issue you report.

MM

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:44 PM

You have a .exe inside the ZIP.  Gmail does NOT allow sending of .exe even if in a ZIP. Neither does Hotmail. So the problem isn't sending ZIP, it seems to be what you are trying to send INSIDE the ZIP. You can't send any of the below file types by Hotmail or Gmail at all, no matter how it is compressed or encrypted.

• .ade (Microsoft Access Project Extension)
  • .adp (Microsoft Access Project)
  • .bas (Visual Basic Class Module)
  • .bat (Batch File)
  • .chm (Compiled HTML Help File)
  • .cmd (Windows NT Command Script)
  • .com (MS-DOS Application)
  • .cpl (Control Panel Extension)
  • .crt (Security Certificate)
  • .exe (Application Executable)
  • .hlp (Windows Help File)
  • .hta (HTML Applications)
  • .htm (HTML File)
  • .html (HTML File)
  • .inf (Setup Information File)
  • .ins (Internet Communication Settings)
  • .isp (Internet Communication Settings)
  • .its (Internet Document Set)
  • .js (JScript File)
  • .jse (JScript Encoded Script File)
  • .lnk (Shortcut)
  • .mda (Microsoft Access Add-in)
  • .mdb (Microsoft Access Application)
  • .mde (Microsoft Access MDE Database)
  • .mdt (Microsoft Access Add-in Data)
  • .mdz (Access Wizard Template)
  • .msc (Microsoft Common Console Document)
  • .msi (Windows Installer Package)
  • .msp (Windows Installer Patch)
  • .mst (Visual Test Source File)
  • .pcd (Photo CD Image)
  • .pif (Shortcut to MS-DOS Program)
  • .reg (Registration Entries)
  • .scr (Screen Saver)
  • .sct (Windows Script Component)
  • .shb (Appfix Package)
  • .shs (Shell Scrap Object)
  • .url (Uniform Resource Locator)
  • .vb (VBScript File)
  • .vbe (VBScript Encoded Script File)
  • .vbs (VBScript Script File)
  • .vsd (Visio Drawing)
  • .vss (Visio Stencil)
  • .vst (Visio Template)
  • .vsw (Visio Workspace File)
  • .ws (Windows Script File)
  • .wsc (Windows Script Component)
  • .wsf (Windows Script File)
  • .wsh (Windows Scripting Host Settings File)

PS. It was possible before to encrypt a .exe inside a .RAR or 7Zip and send that way, because Gmail couldn't see inside to know to stop it, but Gmail stopped allowing encrypted compressed files for that very reason sometime last year. Don't know about hotmail. The whole point is to stop any transmission of files which could be possible infected or infectious. 

Edited by Trikein, 13 November 2016 - 12:53 PM.

#11 Sigord

Sigord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:08 AM

Thanks so though for years I have been packing EXE etc. files inside zip the days are now numbered.

Would you agree this extra security is probably due to people who will not pay to use a reputable updated antivirus, like my friend who only uses Windows Defender. 

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:43 AM

No, I would not say that. I didn't touch your ZIP except when booted into a virtual environment. I would never download a ZIP, because there is no way of knowing what's in it without downloading it first. Surprised your friends have been years. IMO it doesn't matter what type of AV you have, it's a matter of security. Also, even though I would consider Defender "reputable" I would certainly not consider it the end all be all Antivirus program. It's the freebie that Microsoft released with Vista... not MS proudest moment. Besides, didn't you have AVG?

Curious too, but what exactly have you been needing to send for years? Could you just save and send the data in some other way?

Edited by Trikein, 14 November 2016 - 07:45 AM.

#13 Sigord

Sigord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:27 AM

Sometimes I amend or write a little program in Liberty Basic or BBC4W such as for our club trainer to help him with his monthy list of contests. My friend who only uses Window Defender managed to send a ZIP with a 2 Mb EXE file to me . So we suspect fussy AVG is blocking me doing likewise. If so I wonder what other surprises AVG have for us now AVAST is in control.

#14 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:20 AM

Maybe either Gmail or Hotmail block/restrict the sending of .exe but not the receiving. I don't think it is AVG because that wouldn't cause the type of bounce back error you got. That came from a email provider block, not a software(AVG or AVAST). 

To be honest, I had no idea AVAST bought AVG. They were both decent AVG though, Avast just had more in the bank. The economics of shareware is complicated. I don't think the issue is a AV problem though. The email with error was reported by SNT004-OMC1S18.hotmail.com, which is a Hotmail outbound MTA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users