Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

movie software missing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pcnoobsdc

pcnoobsdc

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:04 AM

Hello forum, i did a reset of my pc few days ago so some files got deleted. I remember i had a movie software on windows 10 and now it's gone, does anyone know or remember the name of it so i can download it manually?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:50 AM

If you are referring to software just to watch movies, it was probably VLC;

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:07 AM

Hello forum, i did a reset of my pc few days ago so some files got deleted. I remember i had a movie software on windows 10 and now it's gone, does anyone know or remember the name of it so i can download it manually?

There is no way anyone other than yourself or someone you made privy to this information is going to know what you had installed.

What was this software intended to be used to, copy movies, play movies, etc.?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 pcnoobsdc

pcnoobsdc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:08 PM

no, i think it came with the pc i mean with windows 10, it was intended to play movies i think. I did the reset so a lot of things are missing. Like a movie application or something

Edited by pcnoobsdc, 11 November 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:20 PM

VLC will probably do a better job than anything that came preinstalled on the machine, but if you do want to know what the software was maybe take a look in your C:\Program files\ folder or your C:\Program Data\ folder see if any folder names within them remind you of what it was. otherwise look at the adverts from the place you bought the machine, those adverts usually list all the preinstalled stuff. But in general preinstalled stuff is usually not very good, the makers of various programs pay manufacturers to preinstall it them so they can get users, as people don't tend to deliberately seek out the software. Such preinstalled software is often called "bloatware" or "junkware" for being, although usually not dangerous except in a few newsworthy cases, unwanted. In short, for playing movies VLC is the best choice, it reads discs perfectly and it works well on almost all video and audio file formats free of worries about codecs and such.

Edited by rp88, 11 November 2016 - 01:21 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:30 PM

VLC will probably do a better job than anything that came preinstalled on the machine, but if you do want to know what the software was maybe take a look in your C:\Program files\ folder or your C:\Program Data\ folder see if any folder names within them remind you of what it was. otherwise look at the adverts from the place you bought the machine, those adverts usually list all the preinstalled stuff. But in general preinstalled stuff is usually not very good, the makers of various programs pay manufacturers to preinstall it them so they can get users, as people don't tend to deliberately seek out the software. Such preinstalled software is often called "bloatware" or "junkware" for being, although usually not dangerous except in a few newsworthy cases, unwanted. In short, for playing movies VLC is the best choice, it reads discs perfectly and it works well on almost all video and audio file formats free of worries about codecs and such.

The OP is indicating problems with other applications.  We are talking about Windows 10 applications now even if the movie application wasn't a Windows application.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:40 PM

When you do a Reset and choose the option to save all of your personal files it will still uninstall any third party applications.  The problem here is it seems that you are having a difficult time figuring out what were the Windows applications and the third party applications.  (Third party applications are programs/applications which you download to install or installed from a disc.)  When you did the reset it should have reinstalled the operating system back to the condition it was in originally.  This is why I wonder of you are confusing Windows applications with third party applications.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,041 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

Another possibility would be to do a factory reset after backing up your personal files if your OEM recovery partition is intact. This would recover any OEM included programs. Factory reset is different than the Windows 10 reset. This essentially takes it back to the day you bought the computer.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:52 PM

I would think that the only difference would be the bloatware and the manufacturer's drivers.  The Windows installation itself should be any different.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,041 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:19 PM

Is it possible the bloatware would include the movie viewer? I had an OEM computer that included PowerDVD free of charge as part of the OEM package but that was years ago. 

#11 pcnoobsdc

pcnoobsdc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

Okay thx so much for trying to help i can see you are doing your best to try to help me, VLC i think i downloaded yesterday morning...Its not the one im talking about. I am talking at all the applications or software that came with the PC from factory reset like one of the members here mention...It was an application that had movies in it and i could watch movies, my pc is a lenovo by the way. The only reason i am giving you guys a hard time is because i do a lot of resets and it takes a lot of time, i know i can download other applications on the internet but that one was really special....

my pc is a lenovo btw

I can access the files and check to see if i get any names for it but im not sure what the adverts mean and i dont know what it is or where to look for it...sorry for my poor English

heres the list of the removed apps, but i dont know if my movie app is listed below...

7-Zip 15.14 (x64) Igor Pavlov 15.14 AMD Radeon Settings Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. 2016.0916.1515.27418 AVG Protection AVG Technologies 2016.81.7639 CCleaner Piriform 5.19 Dolby Digital Plus Advanced Audio Dolby Laboratories Inc 7.6.5.1 GIMP 2.8.16 The GIMP Team 2.8.16 Hightail for Lenovo Hightail, Inc. 2.4.97.2857 HitmanPro 3.7 SurfRight B.V. 3.7.14.263 Java 8 Update 91 (64-bit) Oracle Corporation 8.0.910.14 Java 8 Update 92 (64-bit) Oracle Corporation 8.0.920.14 KMSpico     Kodi XBMC-Foundation   Left 4 Dead 2 version 2.1.3.7 Strogino CS Portal 2.1.3.7 Lenovo Dependency Package Lenovo Group Limited 1.6.25.00 Lenovo QuickOptimizer Lenovo 1.0.019.00 Lenovo Solution Center Lenovo 3.2.004.00 Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 Microsoft Corporation 16.0.4266.1001 Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17 Microsoft Corporation 9.0.30729 Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 Microsoft Corporation 10.0.40219 My.com Game Center My.com B.V. 3.175 Nitro Pro 10 Nitro 10.5.2.11 Nitro Pro 9 Nitro 9.0.5.9 OpenVPN 2.3.10-I603   2.3.10-I603 Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.0.16 Oracle Corporation 5.0.16 Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth Suite (64) Qualcomm Atheros Communications 8.0.1.318 SoftEther VPN Client SoftEther VPN Project 4.20.9608 TAP-Windows 9.21.1   9.21.1 Visual Studio 2012 x64 Redistributables AVG Technologies 14.0.0.1 Vulkan Run Time Libraries 1.0.3.1 LunarG, Inc. 1.0.3.1 Windows Driver Package - Lenovo (ACPIVPC) System (09/24/2013 19.29.2.34) Lenovo 09/24/2013 19.29.2.34 Windows Driver Package - Lenovo (WUDFRd) LenovoVhid (07/25/2013 10.30.0.288) Lenovo 07/25/2013 10.30.0.288

WinRAR 5.31 (64-bit)

Edited by pcnoobsdc, 11 November 2016 - 07:57 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,041 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:46 PM

Out of your list Kodi is a movie player.

https://kodi.tv/about/

#13 pcnoobsdc

pcnoobsdc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:58 AM

kodi was added by me, did not come with the pc

#14 pcnoobsdc

pcnoobsdc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:33 AM

it isn't netflix is it? It doesnt open when i press it...and it gives me free for a month, the other one i remember didnt ask me for a month it just let me login...

Can someone with a lenovo please tell me...my Lenovo is a G50-45

Edited by pcnoobsdc, 12 November 2016 - 05:53 AM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:32 AM

When you did the reset it should have returned it to the condition the operating system was like when it first came out of the box.  This would include all the bloatware that the manufacturer installed.

If you still have a netflix account you need to open netflix and sing in to your account.  I don't know what your payment arrangements are, if you pay by card each month you wish to use it and don't have it set to transfer payments each month there is a possibility that your account could have expired and need to reopen it.  If you have questions regarding your account you should call netflix and ask them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users