Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msi K9n Sli Platinum Northbridge

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CrackaaPLZ

CrackaaPLZ

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:04 PM

I have an MSI K9N SLI Platinum mobo and have realized that the northbridge is running so hot that 1) it is extremely uncomfortable to the touch (ya they are all hot, but you can barely keep your finger on it for more than a second) and 2) it is causing the system to crash randomly.
I have researched aftermarket heatsinks for this motherboard but have not been able to find any due to its unusual size/shape. Is anyone aware of such a heatsink/fan? Does anyone have any other possible solutions to this problem? Right now I have a window fan blowing into the computer with the side panel off... but i can't keep it like that, just isn't practical...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:11 PM

You mean something like this?

Personally I just got a Zalman northbridge heatsink combined with good case cooling.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 CrackaaPLZ

CrackaaPLZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:38 PM

does that fit on the K9N SLI Platinum though? And I called Zalman and talked to one of their people about the issue and they don't make a NB heatsink that will fit on the K9N. The problem is that it isn't as simple as getting a new heatsink for the NB. The K9N SLI has some stupid weird shaped NB heatsink... so it's hard to find one that will fit. Here is a picture of the mobo. See the weird NB heatsink?

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:58 AM

Wow, that NB might be a problem. Whatever you put there will be in the way of the graphics card.

Hmm... You could always get some Arctic Silver 5 and use it with that heatsink. It should help cooling some. Then you could work on the case cooling. You could also either get a case with a side fan or mod the case you have to mount a side fan.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 25 August 2006 - 04:59 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 CrackaaPLZ

CrackaaPLZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:59 AM

Ok, the computer store found the problem. There is apparently an issue with Nvidia 7 series graphics cards and the k9n SLI mobo... Currently the only bios update on the US website is the 1.0 or w/e version, however, the comp store found version 1.3 (or something) on the TAIWAN version of the website. This bios update fixes issues with (among other things) compatability with 7 series cards, RAM, etc. Hasn't reset/crashed since then, but it's only been a few hours. I'll let you all know if anything happens. Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users