Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome - Setting enforced by your administrator

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mwpanzer

mwpanzer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:48 PM

So I've been trying to turn off notifications on Chrome, but I'm locked out of several setting options because it's of the administrator? How can I stop this from happening? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:45 PM

If this is on a work/college network and you are not the administrator the only thing you can do is speak to the system administrator. If it's not your network you can't control it.

If it's your own network I haven't found any settings in Chrome I can't control but I don't use it that much. Could you tell us what settings you are having problems with ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:20 PM

I think there is a difference between a network admin and admin rights at the group policy level in a computer. AFAIK a ISP or network block wouldn't cause a error of that nature. Maybe if it was a download accelerator or something, but not usually for basic software function.

However, what is the exact error you are getting? Also, what is it exactly you are trying to do? Turn off notification from other apps in Chrome? Does this help? Last, are you using your personal laptop or is it a school/work computer?

#4 mwpanzer

mwpanzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:00 AM

This is a personal laptop. And yes, I'm trying to turn off notifications for other apps in Chrome. I go to Settings > Privacy > Notifications, but the option for 'Do not allow any site to show notifications' is greyed out and an icon next to it says 'This setting is enforced by your administrator'. This is not the only option greyed out because of this under Settings (I'm at work though and don't have the laptop with right now).  I'm signed in under my own account on Chrome, so I don't understand why there is an issue. 

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:37 PM

This is a personal laptop. And yes, I'm trying to turn off notifications for other apps in Chrome. I go to Settings > Privacy > Notifications, but the option for 'Do not allow any site to show notifications' is greyed out and an icon next to it says 'This setting is enforced by your administrator'. This is not the only option greyed out because of this under Settings (I'm at work though and don't have the laptop with right now).  I'm signed in under my own account on Chrome, so I don't understand why there is an issue. 

Was it there before? If you or someone else didn't make changes to your policy settings, then it's probably more likely you have some kind of malware forcing the block. My guess is one of your chrome plugins may have been malicious.

If this is the first time trying to stop the notification, and it's possible the admin blocked it, it is probably better to contact who ever put the block on and have them remove it. Editing group policy is not something I would suggest to a layman. Paste the wrong thing in the wrong place, and you can mess up your system.

#6 mwpanzer

mwpanzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:26 AM

This is the first time I've tried to stop it, but I don't know who would have blocked it as I bought this laptop brand new. I do have some knowledge dealing with the registry and tried editing group policy through the CMD as someone else had recommended that (it didn't work) and the registry path that is apparently supposed to be there (Policies/Google) does not exist on this computer. 

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:08 AM

the registry path that is apparently supposed to be there (Policies/Google) does not exist on this computer. 

That makes me suspicious. I would suggest moving or mirroring this thread over in the "Am I Infected" forum.

#8 mwpanzer

mwpanzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:31 AM

Gotcha, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users