Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

got a weird problem with my pc when playing games

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 advoki

advoki

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:19 AM

I'm pretty tech savvy but I'm really at a lost as to what the cause of this problem is and im hopeing someone could help me.

Ok so here is the issue I got, when I play games (not browser games but normal ones) I experiance lagg (not with fps drops just a constant low fps). 
thing is I dont have the lagg all the time and I found a weird patren in it.
If I start up a game after my pc has been on for a while (times varry but around 1 hour+) i experiance the lagg
If I start up a game within the first few min after start up I have no lag at all and i can play for hours without issues. 
If I then restart the game all of the sudden I get lagg again (like half the fps i had before the restart)
If I then restart my pc again and open the game within a few min i can start it normaly without any lagg

Got it will pretty much all the games, already checked the requirements and should be able to play on high yet I have lagg with low settings.
All the stats of my pc (gpu, cpu, memory, drive) are well below there max when i experiance the lagg
Already scaned for viruses and thats not it either.

Does any one have a idea what might be the cause/solution for this?
Even a general direction would help me out big time since im really at a lost as to what causes it

specs:
CPU: intel i7-2600K 3.40GHz
GPU: geforce GTX 580
Memory: 16GB
Windows 10 pro 64X

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:57 AM

What game is it? What version of the GPU driver do you have installed?

#3 advoki

advoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:03 AM

i have it with all the games, high end games that i should just barely be able to play on the lowest settings as well as low quality indie games that i should be able to play on max settings without any problems.

also tried setting the low end games on the lowest settings (even though i should have no problem on max) but had the same problem.

the driver i have is geforce game ready 375.70 (the latest one)

#4 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:32 AM

You have the latest drivers and you don't have viruses, no issues there. So now I guess it has to be the cooling system. What are you using to  cool your hardware down?

#5 advoki

advoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:56 AM

My gpu maxed out around 80C while running a stress test.

Acording to the nividia specs the max is 97C so im still in the save zone with that.

Also like I said I can play a high end game (like mafia 3 on low settings) for hours on end without any problems if I start it at start up.

But I cant play a game if I start it after my pc has been on for a while (even a low end game like age of wonders 3 on the lowest settings while i should be able to play it on max settings)

So I think we can also cross cooling of the list?

#6 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:30 PM

@advoki - For what it's worth, 1.5 GB (sad to say) of video RAM is not enough for the current games. I tell my friends a bare minimum of 2 GB video RAM, but honestly, 4 GB vRAM is my minimum if I were to buy a new gaming PC (I have a "gaming PC", but not a branded gaming, just a self-built kind of thing).

Not only that, even if you are keeping the GPU cool, are you sure the Mobo is cool enough...

But seriously, this GPU falls behind in memory frequency as well. These days 3.5-4.1 GHz is the thing, but your GPU is only pulling a memory clock speed of 1.2 GHz at max (that's what it's rated in specs as a max).

I'm not trying to sound like a pessimist here, mate, but you may want to consider upgrading to a modern day GPU. I understand the costs being upwards of hundreds-to-thousands, but that's what it takes if you're going to maintain a gaming PC. It's not a cakewalk.

I remember my friend, Easton, had told me he spent $800 on his GPU alone, and ended up with 64 GB of RAM as well. He said he just did that last year, and his PC upgrade costs were in the $2000s (USD). Of course, I looked at him like he's crazy, but you know how that goes.

While I would not recommend a specific processor, I would suggest to begin looking at potential upgrade deals while the holidays are here, because you might be impressed. My friend did assure me that NewEgg, for example, runs tons of deals around the holidays.

Nonetheless, if you don't want to head in that direction, then test the GPU itself. I know the FurMark tests are very good, but if you're going this route, please be careful not to select too high of options on testing. It can be detrimental if you use too high of options on testing the GPU.

Of course, a CPU test would be nice as well, like Prime95, as I've seen John (usasma) recommend. But usasma also gives a warning for the CPU tests.

I personally always test my hardware before I upgrade or buy something new, because it is so much less costly (or not costly) to test the hardware. You can easily eliminate what the problem could or could not be.

The amount of troubleshooting steps depends on what you are willing to do. I can help you further if you want to continue to test (which is what I recommend). Let me know. :)

#7 advoki

advoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:59 AM

I'm aware that my gpu is becomeing rather old and that it needs to be replaced if i want to keep up with the newest games. But before I do that I first want to find out what the cause of the problem is so i dont end up buying a new expensive GPU and still have the same problem.

Due to the strange patern I'm not entirly sure it is caused by my GPU.
If it is caused by haveing a GPU that is to low should i not just have a low fps at all time in high end games?
Instead of being able to run it smootly(30-40fps) for hours on end but then sometimes get stuck around 10 fps. Add to that the fact that i also have the same issue with old/low quality games and it just makes no sence to me.

I will run the furmark and prime95 tests later today.

#8 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:00 PM

Very well... Let me know your results. I have used these tools often to know what variety of results they can produce. :)

You may want to take a look at a tutorial from a resident BSOD expert, usasma, on his site:

Prime95: http://www.carrona.org/prime95.html

FurMark: http://www.carrona.org/furmark.html

#9 advoki

advoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

Did a quick run of the Prime95 test (15 min or so) got no errors.

And useing MSI afterburner i saw that the CPU temp maxes out at 83C

I will run Prime95 over night like usasma suggested

Doing the furmark test i got the following result.

DFKSc2O.jpg

#10 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:11 PM

I will run Prime95 over night like usasma suggested

Yes, please do! That will be a good next step.

By the way, what security set up do you have currently? I'm curious only for performance reasons...

#11 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:51 AM

I will run Prime95 over night like usasma suggested

Yes, please do! That will be a good next step.

By the way, what security set up do you have currently? I'm curious only for performance reasons...

Except this what about the CPU? What are your CPU temps. I guess there is something wrong with a certain app that you may be using. Since when you are starting PC and directly running a game it is fine, but when you are using your PC for other stuff you may be using that app and when you start any game that app is messing with your CPU usage.

#12 advoki

advoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:27 AM

Its been running for 7 hours now.

Got 0 errors and in the results file it just says passed on every test.

The cpu temp stays around 78-80C.

As for my security setup i have mcafee as my virus/intruder detection and firewall and I use a VM environment to download and test out new programs before i install them on my pc.

@techghost

Prime95 is a CPU stress test.

I also looked at the running processes and services when i experience the problem and compared them to the ones that are running right after startup but there is nothing out of the ordinary there.

Edited by advoki, 22 November 2016 - 08:31 AM.

#13 advoki

advoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:56 AM

So does anyone know what the cause of the issue is?

Or what kind of tests i can do to find out?

#14 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:28 AM

let's try this:

First, download the latest Nvidia Drivers

Then, download this: Wagnard's Display Driver Uninstaller - this is a GPU driver cleaner, it will definitely remove your GPU drivers, unlike official uninstallers. Note: There are some deceptive ads on the forum page.

• Run Wagnard's DDU - it may create a number of files in the same directory, like a .zip file, so you may have to run it in its own folder
  • Run the application, "DDU.exe" I believe is the name
  • Select the "best option", Safe Mode and Reboot
  • After the computer reboots to safe mode, run DDU if it does not open automatically
  • Choose the "best option", clean install and reboot I think it is called
  • After restarting install the AMD driver you downloaded first
  • Restart if prompted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users