Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I make sure my identity is completely safe over the Internet?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:12 AM

I have been wondering in what ways can I make my identity safe as much as possible. I would like to know all those tips and tricks that are not so common. Want to make my laptop free of any breach.

Edited by hamluis, 10 November 2016 - 10:38 AM.
Moved from Tips/Tricks to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:37 AM

Well...first thing is let's define what "my identity" means.  If your "identity" is not posted anywhere on your system...then you have nothing to worry about.  For most computer users, the only personal information reflected on a system...is that put there by the user/owner for varying reasons and this information is usually in some anonymous form involving a "username" or alias.

Louis

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:50 PM

Everything on the Internet must have an IP address. Technically, you cannot actually "hide" your IP address...you can only mask it and anything you use to mask your IP address knows your real IP address. For example, you can use a proxy server which will hide your real IP address to others, but not the proxy server. With that said there are Benefits of Hiding (masking) Your IP Address.

You can enhance your privacy with various privacy tools:

Another option is to use a virtual private network (VPN) service. A VPN essentially extends a private network across a public network (Internet) and enables a computer to send and receive data across a public network as if it were directly connected to the private network. VPNs provide security by the use of tunneling protocols, encryption and authenticated remote access. A VPN helps to protect you from identity theft, hides your IP address, and allows you to secure your transmitted data, financial transactions and personal information while online.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 techghost

techghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:24 AM

Everything on the Internet must have an IP address. Technically, you cannot actually "hide" your IP address...you can only mask it and anything you use to mask your IP address knows your real IP address. For example, you can use a proxy server which will hide your real IP address to others, but not the proxy server. With that said there are Benefits of Hiding (masking) Your IP Address.

You can enhance your privacy with various privacy tools:

Another option is to use a virtual private network (VPN) service. A VPN essentially extends a private network across a public network (Internet) and enables a computer to send and receive data across a public network as if it were directly connected to the private network. VPNs provide security by the use of tunneling protocols, encryption and authenticated remote access. A VPN helps to protect you from identity theft, hides your IP address, and allows you to secure your transmitted data, financial transactions and personal information while online.

This was really helpful. Thanks man. Let me explore it further.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,070 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:03 AM

You're welcome.

#6 techghost

techghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

What I did:

The first step I took was that I searched for some informational blogs around the web regarding VPNs. I thought a VPN should be the first step I should take to maintain the privacy. Here is the blog if you are interested for all the info.

I tried opting for free VPNs, but thank goodness I didn't, I learned that free VPNs often cross server your IPs with other user's which is very dangerous. They are like honey pots that you definitely don't want to mess with. Read this interesting guest post to know how it works.

I now have a paid VPN. And it has worked fine for me so far. I opted PureVPN by the way.

And I'm currently trying out other suggestions as well for further security given above by;

quietman7

#7 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:53 PM

What I don't get techghost the link about free vpns you provided, whats to stop this kind of attack on a paid for vpn? I don't get it surely no vpn company that does a free and paid version would let the free version get exploited and give them selves a bad name that would defeat the point of showing whats on offer to the buyer. maybe i missed something?

I'm not up on all the technical ins and outs but I'm trying to learn.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,070 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:06 PM

Use a paid VPN service

The main idea behind using a paid VPN service is preventing logs of any kind...Top-of-the-line encryption and wide variety of security protocols (that are updated according to new threat vectors) will ensure no intermediary or data sniffer is able to use the cushion of honeypot to get their hands on your personal information.

#9 techghost

techghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:33 AM

What I don't get techghost the link about free vpns you provided, whats to stop this kind of attack on a paid for vpn? I don't get it surely no vpn company that does a free and paid version would let the free version get exploited and give them selves a bad name that would defeat the point of showing whats on offer to the buyer. maybe i missed something?

I'm not up on all the technical ins and outs but I'm trying to learn.

I'm also not that much into technical stuff, but I think quietman7 has defined what my point of view of honeypots is. Hence it is better to be aware of what possibly could happen if we opt for free VPNs. 

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,070 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:02 AM

I'm also not that much into technical stuff, but I think quietman7 has defined what my point of view of honeypots is. Hence it is better to be aware of what possibly could happen if we opt for free VPNs.

Yep...that's why I posted that quote from the article.

#11 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:11 AM

I might have missed something I am a little slow sorry.

But I still don't get why a free vpn would be less secure than a paid surely they run on the same security features.

With free  you just get time limits and small data usage and some offer more features that are disabled on some free versions.

Have I missed the a point some where about free vs paid? I know what a honey pot/net is and how they work for good and bad. 

Can you point me to the link that explains why free is less secure please, sorry I am a bit slow on picking things up.

#12 techghost

techghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:49 AM

I might have missed something I am a little slow sorry.

But I still don't get why a free vpn would be less secure than a paid surely they run on the same security features.

With free  you just get time limits and small data usage and some offer more features that are disabled on some free versions.

Have I missed the a point some where about free vs paid? I know what a honey pot/net is and how they work for good and bad. 

Can you point me to the link that explains why free is less secure please, sorry I am a bit slow on picking things up.

How do you think they'll earn if they keep on providing free trials, even though they are limited, that people keep on using and never decide to make a purchase.
Free VPNs; Sell your bandwidth, Collect data logs, Monitor your activity and do more stuff.
Read this case for an example of what a free VPN did.
If you're not much of a reader, watch this YouTube video for a more clear idea.

Just like that old quote "If it's free, you are the product being sold"
Hope it helped.

Edited by techghost, 14 November 2016 - 06:19 AM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,070 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:45 AM

An offer of free software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (Premium/Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. By using free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service.

#14 techghost

techghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:51 AM

An offer of free software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (Premium/Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. By using free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service.

That's a much more educated answer. I hope HolyCowz would now have a relatively clear idea.

#15 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:39 AM

I understand using free programs is at an advertising cost. I was unsure why a free vpn and the same paid version was different you where saying the free versions are less secure I didn't understand why that's all lol.

I had a look at one free example and all I found as in issues was it uses an adware tracking cookie can't see why it less secure than the full version yet though.

The video is all guessing no solid evidence he says the NSA would create free vpns no point when you could just make software that could decrypt any encrypted data stream in real time from anyone anywhere, why would they have crumbs and not the whole pie, even he um's and ars and what he has said at the end he's not quiet sure lol I watch eli a lot. thanks for the links most appreciated :)

Thanks for your answers muchappreciated. :)

Edited by HolyCowz, 15 November 2016 - 04:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users