I have a Windows 10 desktop PC I built a few years ago which will no longer boot.
The BIOS splash screen displays (and I can access the BIOS by pressing Del at this point), but after that there is no Windows loading screen as usual, just a black screen with an underscore/cursor character in the top left corner which flashes indefinitely. I have left the machine in this state for over an hour and seen no progress.
While this black screen is shown, I can press CTRL + ALT + DEL and the machine will reboot. I can also press the physical power button on the machine's case and it will turn off immediately.
I have read around a bit online (I've always worked in IT, so can usually solve my own problems!) and tried each of the following (rebooting several times after trying each thing):
- Mashing F8 and SHIFT + F8 during boot to try and enter Advanced Startup
- Checking boot sequence in BIOS has the HDD as first boot device
- Manually forcing boot from the HDD through BIOS
- Removing all other boot devices from the boot sequence in BIOS
- Removing all connected peripherals (USB dongles for Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, even network cable)
- Physically disconnecting other listed bootable devices internally where possible (i.e. disconnecting power and data between motherboard and optical drive)
- Resetting BIOS to default settings
Nothing so far has made any difference and I cannot get the machine to boot.
I do not have another machine available which can take the HDD (or a caddy to connect it to my Surface via USB), so I cannot currently inspect the contents of the drive at all.
I also do not have any Windows installation media to try and boot from - I bought an OEM copy of Windows 7 (which I cannot find unfortunately) when I bought/built the machine and it was upgraded to Windows 10 via the online download a few months back.
MoBo: MSI H67MA-E35 (B3)
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMV4GX3M2A1333C9)
What should my next steps be?