Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Slow Startup & Strange Logon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

Hello;
I am cleaning up a PC that took at least 10 minutes to startup and was running real slow.

I have cleaned it with Adaware (Found my first 10 TAC Rated Spyware) and Spybot I managed to clean the machine and the real reson for its slowness is that it is a Pemntium 3 500 with 128MB SDRAM running Windows XP Home.

Once I stuck a spare 256MB SDRAM stick in it it is now pretty quick well as quick as can be expected.

AFter doing a little more cleaning up I have now caused a problem in that the machine boots up loads 15 processes then stops if I leave it long enough 10 minutes or so it eventualy finishes loading. When I used MSCONFIG and selected diagnostic startup it loads super fast, obviously there is a process or startup which is now having trouble loading.

I set a few Restore points along the way so I`ll try a restore.

Two things that where causing trouble was that when the machine boots even though it has two users only one is shown at the Login Screen and this is not the normal XP Boot Screen simply a box with one user name in it (The Administrator) you can substitute this for the other limited user and the machine will still boot. When you hit return though a message comes up saying Please Wait while the Wireless subsystem attempts to associate, authenticate and resolve DHCP for your wireless 802.1x network.

I did also have McAfee installed and every time you access the control panel Add Remove programs a error message appeared saying McAffee DataBackup.exe common language runtime debugging service application has generated an exception that could not be handled Process id=0xe9c Thread id=0xe9o(3744),
Any help solving these issues would be appreciated.

TVM in advance :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:20 AM

OK Noone seems to have responded to this message but that`s no problem as I have managed to fix the issues mentioned.

I uninstalled McAffee and replaced it with AVGFree, Adaware & Spybot.
Restored the normal XP Welcome screen by running a Fast Switching disable script from Kelly`s corner, but had to run a Netsh Winsock Fix at the command prompt to reinstate Networking.

All is now sweet as a nut.

TVM

JA

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:40 AM

I did also have McAfee installed and every time you access the control panel Add Remove programs a error message appeared saying McAffee DataBackup.exe common language runtime debugging service application has generated an exception that could not be handled Process id=0xe9c Thread id=0xe9o(3744),

Sorry I did not see your post earlier, but the above quote is a big clue. Often McAffee becomes corrupt, as well as Norton products, causing all kinds of slow down issues.

Anytime you see error messages related to either one of those software products, uninstall them. This may not always be easy to do, either. If they are corrupt they often become stubborn.

I just posted this information for the benefit of anyone else who might be reading this thread.

Thanks so much for posting back with the solution you came up with.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users