Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows can't check for updates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnpiggy

johnpiggy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:10 AM

As the topic name indicates, I get this message on the tray. When I click on it and run windows update it runs endlessly. I have Windows Vista SP2 32 bit. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 norb

norb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:50 AM

vista lifecycle is almost over.6 more weeks. there are no more updates except for security fixes. try uninstalling in series newest to oldest recent updates. sp2 is a lock down update. its a system rewrite and clean up tool. if its not installed properly itll act up so you either dump it , reinstall or try drive cleanup, defrag, and chkdsk from restart, and sysfile checker from the cmd prompt to fix any errors. it will eventually start removing history and personal info in the background every time it runs the so called monthly malware program, lol, ive never seen it find anything. its an auditing program that scans for hardware changes and programs that one may have transfered from another cpu which is not aloud. 1 install, 1 copy for backup, any alterations its gonna wipe your drive.  "thats been my experience with it"

#3 norb

norb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:54 AM

if you havent already, ignore explorer and download firefox. explorer 7 will no longer let you do anything, not even download 9

#4 johnpiggy

johnpiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

I'm going to need more specific and detailed instruction. I'm not really very proficient with computers. The last update that was installed was from August so Windows update hasn't been working for a while.

#5 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:37 PM

As the topic name indicates, I get this message on the tray. When I click on it and run windows update it runs endlessly. I have Windows Vista SP2 32 bit. Please help.

Hi johnpiggy:

These "Checking for updates..." hangs and slow Windows Updates that run for hours and hours are currently a common problem on Vista SP2 computers.  See post # 210 in KellyB56's thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates".  There is a link in that post to step-by-step instructions to speed up Windows Update that were posted 16-Jun-2016 on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum, and those instructions were updated yesterday to include the latest list of Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates that must be installed to speed up Windows Update on Vista SP2 computers.

If Windows Update hasn't run since August 2016, STEP # 2 of the step-by-step instructions will likely show that you need to install KB3185911 (rel. 13-Sep-2016), KB3191203 (rel. 11-Oct-2016),  KB3198234 (rel. 08-Nov-2016) and KB3203859 (rel. 08-Nov-2016) to speed up Windows Update in November 2016.

EDIT:

The table in the Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet shows that extended support for Vista SP2 will not end until 11-Apr-2017.

--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v49.0.2 * NIS v22.8.0.50 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 10 November 2016 - 06:43 PM.

#6 johnpiggy

johnpiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:13 AM

Thanks for your help. I followed the step by step instructions and installed the updates. When I ran Windows update afterwards, it took 8 to 9 hours to find the new updates. When finally done, it installed 35 updates. Thanks again for the help.

#7 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:07 AM

I followed the step by step instructions and installed the updates. When I ran Windows update afterwards, it took 8 to 9 hours to find the new updates. When finally done, it installed 35 updates

Hi johnpiggy:

Glad to hear Windows Update was finally able to find your missing updates, but 8 to 9 hours still sounds like a long time.  Most Vista SP2 users who were fully patched as of October 2016 reported that Windows Update ran to completion in 1 to 4 hours in November 2016 when they followed the step-by-step instructions posted on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours, but it might have taken a few extra hours this month on your computer since you had three months worth of updates to install.

Sadly, the instructions in m#l's thread are only a temporary workaround and I'll be updating the list of required Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) speed up patches shortly after Microsoft releases the December 2016 Patch Tuesday (the second Tuesday of the month) on 13-Dec-2016.  When you run Windows Update next month make sure that you have terminated any automatic Windows Updates running in the background [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] and re-boot - the re-boot is critical] after installing next month's Win32K.sys speed up patch or your manual Windows Update [Windows Update | Check for updates] will run very slowly.  I have permanently set Windows Update to Never check for updates (not recommended) on my own 32-bit Vista SP2 computer and just run manual Windows Updates each Patch Tuesday after I've installed the recommended Win32K.sys speed up patch.

You might also want to check your list of startup programs that load automatically at boot-up and consume available RAM (memory). Most Vista SP2 machines have a limited amount of RAM installed, and if users are consuming all their available RAM by loading unnecessary programs and diagnostic utilities at boot-up this can slow down the "Checking for updates..." phase of Windows Update (i.e., when the Windows Update Agent is searching the wsusscn2.cab update catalog) even further.

--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v49.0.2 * NIS v22.8.0.50 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 12 November 2016 - 09:13 AM.

#8 johnpiggy

johnpiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:28 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to do as you say and to also check back for next month's updates. Thanks again for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users