Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet connection, wifi adapter, I think they were accidentally uninstalled

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bradman0317

Bradman0317

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:43 PM

I am using a different computer because my laptop a dell Latitude with windows 7 I don't know what happened but all of a sudden I could get no internet connection or wifi connections so I did a network troubleshooter and it kept saying you need a Ethernet plugged in and I have never had to do this so I did a system restore and I don't know what happened because after I did the system restore it would not let me go past that date, like usually you can go back to restore points a month ago. Also I launched services and any service that had stopped I started. So I do not have any drivers connected and I can't get on the internet. I go to school online and I really need some help to hopefully fix this. Thanks to anyone that can help 

Edited by Bradman0317, 09 November 2016 - 07:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:06 PM

What is the model number of the Latitude?

If you are trying to connect wirelessly is there a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager next to your network adapter? 

Can you connect if using an Ethernet Cable?

In Windows 7 right click Computer > Properties > Device Manager

#3 Bradman0317

Bradman0317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:54 PM

I think it says GWHPOPI, there are many adapters but yes there are a couple with the yellow exclamation mark. I am on my brothers computer now and I was trying to get some help first because I don't want to harm his computer. I think I did something either in Services or on a system restore it uninstalled because it says no network adapters and every time I try and reconnect it says either windows won't let me access or that it started to install but there was an error. Also my reboot is weird, like before whatever i did like all the drivers didn't load it went straight to windows. And also it may also have to do with AVAST. I had been with them for a long time and I heard that Avira was better but after I uninstalled AVAST with their uninstaller every time I would restart it would say AVAST uninstall or start windows normally. But now it doesn't even do that it just loads all these drivers and sometimes it will say start Windows normally. I am a wreck with this. I have so much homework and I do not know how to do this with no internet,. and unless someone knows about this I don't want to chance plugging the laptop into his router. Thanks and if you can help, great. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:32 PM

The model number I was looking for was something like Dell latitude 15 series 7000 or something similar.

There is a service tag number on the bottom of the computer or in the battery compartment. Can you post it?

Also for each device with a yellow exclamation mark right click the device and select Properties. Under the details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line of each device.

zP1EV.png

#5 Bradman0317

Bradman0317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:15 AM

its the E6410 Series, and this is the tag #GWHPOPI as best as I can see part of it is rubbed away. The product id is 00426-OEM-8992662-00400. 

1. Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6250 AGN

Hardware IDs

First line under Value: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0087&SUBSYS_13218086&REV_5E

2. Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6250 AGN

Hardware IDs

First line under Value: USB\VID_0A5&PID_5800&REV-0101&MI_00

3. Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6250 AGN #2

First line under Hardware Ids/Value: pci\ven8086&dev_0087&subsys_13018086

4. Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

First line under Hardware IDs/Value: USB\VID_8086&PID_0188&REV_0000

Thank you for any help you can give. What is bothering me is that the computer on the reboot never like loaded all the windows drivers. I honestly don't know what happened or what I did, I just hope I can repair it. Thank you so very much, Either way I appreciate your help, more than I can say.

Edited by Bradman0317, 10 November 2016 - 12:50 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:19 AM

Usually when a device is unknown then there is no listing on what the device is i.e. there would be no mention of an intel wifi adapter. There was no match at the Dell support site for your service tag. 

The vendor and device IDs you provided are for all the devices with the yellow exclamation mark?

In my previous post I asked if you connected a Ethernet cord to your modem or router if you have one does the computer connect to the internet?

Download the wifi driver here and copy it to a flash drive. Install the driver on the E6410 and hopefully this will solve your problem.

#7 Bradman0317

Bradman0317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

Thank you so much! I will let you know the results later, as I have to be with my sister-in-law during the day and I have to wait for my brother to get home to bring me a usb flash drive. I am praying that it works because I am in the middle of my BA degree and having no access of communication as they live in a secluded area. So I am on PST, so I will get back to you and let you know how it goes. I honestly have never used a USB and I had watched my daughter used one before and I know it's not something you just click in and pop out, so I don't want to make any more mistakes. Your help, again, whether it's a go or not is deeply appreciated. The next post will probably between 6-7pm PST. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:09 PM

If we are having a problem getting your wireless to work another option is to use a USB wifi dongle such as this one at BestBuy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-mini-wireless-n-usb-adapter-black/2080328.p?skuId=2080328

For something with a smaller profile purchase a nano adapter similar to this one at Staples

http://www.staples.com/NETGEAR-G54-N150-WiFi-Mini-USB-Adapter-WNA1000M-/product_927666

Cheaper versions are available on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Wireless-Adapter-2-0-802-11n-g-b-2-4GHZ-150Mbps-Wifi-WLAN-nano-mini-/201312739413#rwid

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 November 2016 - 04:19 PM.

#9 Slomo1020

Slomo1020

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

Hi John,

So sorry it took so long, I had to wait for my brother to get me a flash drive. Now my problem is, first off you were right it fixed everything but, what I also did that I shouldn't have done was mess with the services, or anything I know nothing about. So here is what's happening, the peer resolution protocol service has a problem and I'm sure I did something I should have not touched. So I have my wifi, the internet, but it goes for about ten min then it says there's a error or problem with peer resolution protocol service, so the system has to shut down, and so I don't want to screw anything else up. Your help means a lot, I was literally in tears this morning, which is just aggravating on top of a already aggravating situation. Thanks for all your help and if you know what I should do about this peer resolution, let me know!!

#10 Slomo1020

Slomo1020

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:14 PM

Sorry it's Peer Name Resolution Protocol service terminated unexpectedly, and it keeps doing it over and over

#11 Slomo1020

Slomo1020

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:28 PM

I don't know what to do it keeps shutting down!!!

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:45 PM

Do you have a Restore Point available just before you changed your services? You may need to reinstall the wifi driver after doing a System Restore. Does booting into Safe Mode give the same problem?

Black Viper's site lists the services that are default.

You can download this utility to reset all your Windows 7 services back to default startup. Login to an admin account and double click the exe file.

If you can back up all your personal data to a USB external drive you may be able to do a factory reset. The downside of this would be you would need to reinstall all your programs since purchase. The option to factory reset a Dell uses the F8 key at boot. I would only try this if the above does not work.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 November 2016 - 04:48 PM.

#13 Slomo1020

Slomo1020

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:08 PM

I have found some resolutions by looking on my phone but they have different settings like one says all 3 of the peer resolution, peer networking identity manager, and the peer group, should all be set on automatic? Manual? And what about recovery? Take no action? Then someone said to put Local Service in all three and delete the password, please I got the constant rebooting to stop, i just put take no action in all three recovery in the peer networking manager but I don't want to do any thing else until I'm sure of all the correct settings for all three peer resolution, network identity, and peer group, all from the services. I think I changed one from service to system, please help!!!

#14 Slomo1020

Slomo1020

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

It stopped, but that's only because I did the peer networking identity and it has not caused anymore shutting down, so I really don't want to do a whole system restore if I don't have to. I have the peer networking identity manager set at Manual, local service, with no password, do you think it will be okay for the other 2. I am at my wit's end, the wifi is working great

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:26 PM

Sorry, I am not familiar enough with Windows Services to offer any advise. Hopefully somebody else on the Forum can answer. If everything is working correctly I would leave it alone.

At this point I would not use the utility I linked to that resets Services in Windows 7 as the computer is running normally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users