Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo A10 desktop computer windows 10 wifi, airplane mode "vanished"

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 bostonblackie

bostonblackie

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:18 PM

I have had a Lenovo A10 Desktop Computer for a little over 2 years with no problems until yesterday.  At around 4 PM I suddenly couldn't get online only to discover that Wifi is now missing from my network adapter settings, network status (it is still listed under network properties but status says not present, disconnected) and also the Network and Sharing center. Only ethernet is listed there. Wifi is also missing on the device manager network adapter list. The icon on the taskbar to connect to the internet isn't the usual icon but box-shaped with a Red X and it doesn't show my wireless connection or any of the other connections on my street like it should plus the Airplane Mode on the notifications list is missing too. My computer originally came with Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago and had no problems at all. I also downloaded the Anniversary update when it was available. I've tried a few things I read online but it hasn't fixed the problem. I also observed another thing yesterday that is unusual. When I start the desktop, it used to start up right away but now it takes a full minute to boot up (black screen) and I hear a "whoooshing" sound until it boots up. It takes the same amount of time to restart the computer but no such sound when I do restart it.. My 2 year warranty is up. Any suggestions on how to fix my problems?

Edited by bostonblackie, 10 November 2016 - 09:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:04 AM

54 views and no one has any answers?

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:27 AM

In device manager if you click at the top where it says 'view' and then select 'show hidden devices' do you see your wifi adapter then?

If yes then uninstall it and restart the machine and it should reinstall it automatically.

#4 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:06 PM

Right now I can't get into device manager and system restore isn't working.  I get this message now when I try:

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details:
System Restore failed to extract the file.
(C:/ Windows/WinSXS/amd64_microsoft-windows-ui-shell-component_31bf3856ad364? (there may be more letters or numbers)
from the restore point. The restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore.
You can try System Restore again and choose a different restore point. If you continue to see this error, you can try an advanced recovery method.

System reset isn't working.  It stops at 8% and then the screen goes black with the spinning dots like it's frozen there (and I waited a few hours before stopping that)

My usual sign in page isn't accepting my password (and I don't have the pin number option there)   I get the error message:

your device is offline. Please sign in with the last password used on this device.  None of my passwords work there; .  Most likely that's an error message.  However if I go to shift-restart---troubleshoot--advanced options---my microsoft account password works there!  Don't know what to try next. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:18 PM

Go to the lenovo diagnostic page here. Read through the links and guide for UEFI diagnostics. Run the full tests on the system.

#6 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:39 AM

How can I run the diagnostic test if I can't get online with the Lenovo computer?  About the only thing that seems to work is the command prompt.  Is there anything I can do there?

Edited by bostonblackie, 13 November 2016 - 08:57 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:34 AM

Sorry, I thought you could access Windows. You can download the test to a USB flash drive but I missed the part of your post saying it boots to a black screen. Does it stay at this black screen or does it eventually get to Windows? 

If you cannot boot into Windows the see if you can access Troubleshooting to do a System Restore by doing the following.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 November 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#8 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:44 PM

As I mentioned above, System Restore isn't working because of error messages,  This time I got a different one from last time:

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details:
System Restore failed to extract the file.(C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application

Support\Webkit.resources\WebInspectorUI\Views\FindBanner.js) from the restore point.

The restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore.
You can try System Restore again and choose a different restore point. If you continue to see this error, you can try an advanced recovery method.

Maybe buying an Ethernet cable and hooking it up to my Lenovo Desktop computer and to the Router might get me back online and then see if I can try other suggestions.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:17 PM

You can download an iso of UBCD, burn it to a CD, and boot it to perform diagnostics on the drive and memory. You will need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI and enable Legacy or CSM boot.

At the UBCD menu select Parted Magic and at the desktop select DiskHealth. Run the short and long tests. 

At the UBCD menu select Memtest+86 from the Memory menu and run it for at least 6 passes, preferably overnight.

Parted Magic should also let you get online with Wifi.

If reset fails you may be better off recovering your data and then doing a clean install of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 November 2016 - 01:20 PM.

#10 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:53 AM

OK, i burned an ISO of the UBCD and the Media Creation tool (which I will use as a last resort).  Not being very computer savvy, how do I disable SecureBoot in UEFI and enable Legacy or CSM boot.?  Do i do this after putting the UBCD disk into the DVD drive?

Next problem:  how to open the UBCD ISO in the DVD Drive.  I can't get past the sign in page the normal way and when I try the Troubleshoot---Choose an  option---use a device (use a USB drive, network connection, or windows recovery DVD) it takes me to the sign in page and none of my passwords work there.  Something seems to be blocking me from using all the recovery methods I've tried.  Not sure the media creation tool would work now!

I did order a 100 foot Ethernet cable to see if I can get online that way. . 

Edited by bostonblackie, 15 November 2016 - 01:19 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:32 PM

For a Lenovo tapping F2 should bring get you to UEFI settings. It could also be another key.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht081446

This is for a G50 but it should be similar for the A10

http://linuxbsdos.com/2015/07/27/how-to-disable-secure-boot-on-a-lenovo-g50-laptop/

http://www.daossoft.com/bios-tips/how-to-switch-from-uefi-to-legacy-on-lenovo.html

#12 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:20 PM

The UEFI Settings are missing...

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:54 AM

I am not sure why your UEFI settings are missing. Are you saying you cannot access them using the function keys? 

#14 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:03 PM

This is the page I'm supposed to get when I go to Advanced Options....but the Uefi Firmware settings is missing. 

I can't get into safe mode because it asks for a password and none of mine work.  I get "your device is offline. Please sign in with the last password used on this device." 

2usipzc.jpg

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:21 PM

Do you use an email/Windows Live account to login to the computer? I think at this point you may want to look at using a USB dongle to connect via Wifi. For Windows 10 desktop I would recommend something with an antenna for extra range that is Windows 10 compatible. Windows 10 constantly updates so even with a USB dongle you could find it no longer functions after a major Windows 10 update. 

Your UEFI settings should not have to be accessed via Advance Boot Options. Tapping a function key at boot should get you to UEFI directly. This is required should the drive fail. Your image is from software on the hard drive. Tapping F1 or F2 at boot does not get UEFI directly? It could also be the Fn + F1 or Fn + F2 combination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users