Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive showing RAW

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 GennaroR

GennaroR

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

Hello all. So I'm in a little (actually massive) panic about this situation. I don't know how, but yesterday i connected my hard drive, and my CPU was not displaying it. I tried to plug it in various different USB ports and tried to use it on my friends laptop. Every once in awhile I would get the error message of "Do you ant to format". It is a Segate 2tb. I already did some research to what the problem is and there's just so much information I still cant understand. I already ordered another external hard drive out in hopes to get my data off the corrupted one. I saw sites that charge about $80 for programs. Is there any way I can get the files with a free program? This is my main concern secondary to formatting the hard drive. I haven't been able to sleep or think about anything else other than getting my somewhat 1tb amount of files off and onto the new one. Thank you guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:46 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

It may be as simple as the interface connected to the drive has failed.  I just picked up a IDE/SATA TO USB 3.0 Adapter for myself.  It supports most drive types.  You would need to remove the drive from the enclosure to connect it, but it may work for you.

If the USB to drive adapter doesn't do it for you odds are the drive will need professional recovery.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:16 PM

If this is an external drive labeled RAW then it could be a problem with a corrupt partition table. An adapter will only work if the external drive's USB bridge card is not integrated with it's PCB. You can try the following software before trying the adapter linked to by Kilroy.

Download Testdisk for Windows. Do not download the 64bit version. Unzip to a folder on your desktop. Run Testdisk by double clicking the Testdisk exe file. When you get to the menu screen that lists Advanced select it and then Boot. Does it list the Boot sector as good? If possible post a screenshot using the snipping tool.

If the Boot sector is okay then do a Analyze > Quick Search. After the scan highlight any partition found and press the "P" key. Are your files listed? If no partitions are listed do a Deeper Search but thiss will take a long time on a 2TB drive.

Edit: Do not write anything back to the drive. If your files are listed they can be copied back to the internal drive which is the safer approach. 

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 November 2016 - 04:28 PM.

#4 GennaroR

GennaroR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:33 PM

I don't see any option to choose "Advanced". I clicked Testdisk.exe and a window popped up with 3 options . Create, Append, or No log.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

That is the first Window. Just select No log and it will get you to the next window. See the Step by Step Instructions.

Edit: Your drive should be labeled sdb or sdc. The seagate drive should be listed.

Select_disk_update.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 November 2016 - 04:37 PM.

#6 GennaroR

GennaroR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:50 PM

Not sure how to post my image on this forum so I didnt want to waste time. I do see "disk/dev/sdb 4000gb/3726 gib"

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:00 PM

That is not your seagate if your seagate is 2TB. With the external attached you should have sdc at 2000GB or it could be another letter. You can take an image with the snipping tool and then select More Reply Options to attach the jpg or use an image hosting service and post the link.

#8 GennaroR

GennaroR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:04 PM

Has to be because it always connected as F drive. Unless its a 4tb ? Ive had this hard drive for about 4 years don't really remember.

Attached Files

Edited by GennaroR, 09 November 2016 - 05:08 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:13 PM

Yes, it looks like your external is 4TB. Select sdb, not F: and at the next screen select the partition type. It should be EFI/GPT.

#10 GennaroR

GennaroR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:15 PM

Ok now analyze?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:28 PM

No, select Advanced > Boot. Is the Boot sector listed as Okay? After selecting Advanced the next screen should show Boot in the lower window. Select it. At the next screen it will list if the Boot Sector and Backup Boot Sector are okay.

Backup_bs.png

#12 GennaroR

GennaroR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:44 PM

states no partition

Attached Files

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:45 PM

That's not good. If you back out by clicking Quit and do a Quick Search are any partitions detected? 

Edit: Quick Search is after clicking Analyze.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 November 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#14 GennaroR

GennaroR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:48 PM

quick search how?

#15 GennaroR

GennaroR
  • Topic Starter