Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe using 50% of cpu Windows Vista


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OldManoftheDesert

OldManoftheDesert

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:53 PM

Hi,

 

I've been having trouble with the process svchost.exe using half of my cpu during the last couple of days.  It started a bit ago when I tried downloading a codec that was recommended on cnet so that I could play .avi files on windows media player.  Since then, I've uninstalled the codec along with the halali (sp?) media spliter.  

 

- I've run the adwcleaner a ton of times and it always removes something from aol.com and ask.com (I didn't realize that these sites still existed) from my Google Chrome appdata folder:

 

Chrome pref Found:  [C:\Users\Awesome\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web data] - aol.com
Chrome pref Found:  [C:\Users\Awesome\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web data] - ask.com
 
I've also run:
 
- MBAM which finds no threats.
- I've run JRT
- dds
- sophos
- rkill
- FRST
- ComboFix
 
I can post any logs that you might want.
 
I'm not sure what the problem is.  I think you can tell that I'm just sort of taking shots in the dark, which doesn't seem to be working for me.
 
Thanks


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 joker175

joker175

  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:30 AM

hi oldman,

try to disable the windows update service:

 

WIN + R > type "services.msc" > find the windows update service and disable it

 

test the system

 

let me know what is the situation after that

 

Elvis



#3 OldManoftheDesert

OldManoftheDesert
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:43 AM

Hi Elvis,

 

That seems to have fixed the problem.  I switched its startup type from automatic startup to manual, so hopefully it won't be a problem anymore.  Thank you for showing me that.

 

Thanks!



#4 joker175

joker175

  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:17 AM

perfect, thank you for your reporting

 

Have a nice days

 

Elvis






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users