Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dkswtchw.exe....what?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

I think i may have another virus launcher on my computer. I went to check out a suspicious file called dkswtchw.exe. It, like NX.exe, has the tricky dates (created 2004, modified 1994). I have searched all anti virus sites and have scanned with my NOD32 and have picked up nothing. I have also searched the internet and have also picked up nothing. Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:47 PM

Its probably bad and can be removed. Where is it located and how did you find the file?

Go to virustotal.com
Click the "browse" button and locate that file.
Click "Open", then click the "Submit" button. Copy the results and paste them in your next reply.

Edited by quietman7, 24 August 2006 - 03:50 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:11 PM

Ill try that and it is located in C:. How i found it....well i was going through the C drive and i noticed it and its been there for awhile so i finally started checking it out and it looked suspicious.

Thank You,
Nick

Edited by moomoo, 24 August 2006 - 04:14 PM.

#4 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:14 PM

Well the scans showed up nothing so i dont know....im just gonna leave it...it could be anything really....thanks for all your help though!

-moomoo

#5 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

There is a reference to it here , could it be a P2P file . Maybe the experts can help.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:35 AM

Have you tried right-clicking on the file, choosing properties and looking for information listed in the version tab?

If your not finding any info good or bad about this file, you could move it from its current location to another where you can easily find it. For example, create a new folder and rename it "Saved File", then move it into that folder. If you experience no problems with your programs or pc after 30 days, then you can get rid of it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:07 AM

Hmmm i think its a P2P file because i have limewire and the scans show nothing...And yes i have done that with properties and its brought nothing up at all. I dont know i think ill just leave it....as long as its not going to destroy my computer or do anything...im fine with it.
Thank you for all your help everyone!
-Nick

Edited by moomoo, 25 August 2006 - 08:09 AM.

#8 p4r4d0x

p4r4d0x

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:18 AM

Just for future reference, this file is a harmless program file used in conjunction with Dorling Kindersly educational software such as Earth Quest or Encyclopedia of Science. It seems to be left behind even after uninstalling all associated DK products and can simply be removed to complete the uninstallation.

Cheers,
p4r4d0x

#9 Draj

Draj

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:05 PM

I agree with p4r4dox!
I just had a niece try to run Earth Quest (borrowed from the local library). It is made for Win95 and DOS 3.1.
It was run on a newly installed computer I was setting up for my father. I know that there was no such file this morning. I now have a file called dkswtchw.exe in C:\ (4,864 bytes). I did a Google search and came here.
Earth Quest installed but with errors. It could not run because of Quicktime incompatibilities.

I'm deleting it!

Peace to all!

Draj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users