Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help - Icons won't open unless I right click "Run as Administrator"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ~Haze~

~Haze~

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:05 AM

Hello everyone. I've posted before but it's been years and my original user seems to be lost. It's unfortunate but hello again and I know that if I can find help anywhere, it is here.

I have a problem that I'm hoping to fix with some help here. It's actually been going on for a while (like years). I found a thread with people having similar issues but it was a little over my head and now I can't seem to find it. This was a few years ago.

I have a Dell Inspiron N5010 running Windows 7 with service pack 1 and one day I had a problem just start out of nowhere.

*Every time I click an icon, instead of opening the program I get an "Open With..." Box that asks me to choose the program I want to open program or file with.

*It doesn't matter what it is. A file - word, excel, a PDFs file. A program - Word, Excel, Firefox, IE. Any icon I click prompts this "Open With" dialogue box.

*I can't add, run, update or install new programs because I don't know which file to select to run an application File. It's become frustrating.

I can open programs or files by right clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator" and the programs/icons open but I can't install or update any files or programs.

At the time this was my only USER and of course it's the Administrative User. Since, I have created secondary users and they seem to work fine but they lack the "Administrative User" tools.

I'm getting frustrated and would love to resolve this issue so I can open files and update all these aging programs,

Can someone please help. Any ahelp and advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:46 AM

Use the registry file i have attached to my post to associate .ink file with default program.

Attached File  Default_LNK_(Shortcut).zip   1.25KB   6 downloads

Posted Image

#3 ~Haze~

~Haze~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:25 PM

Use the registry file i have attached to my post to associate .ink file with default program.

attachicon.gifDefault_LNK_(Shortcut).zip

Thank you for the file. I downloaded it and ran it. I got a few pop ups cautioning that I allow programs to make changes. I clicked past those and let the file run but it's still happening. I still get then"open with..." dialogue box when I try to open a program.

Did I do something incorrectly? Do I have to do it a certain way?

Thanks in advance..

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:05 AM

It sound like you did merge the registry values correctly if there was no error message.

Open Registry Editor by typing regedit into Start Menu and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.lnk 

Delete UserChoice folder and restart your computer.

Posted Image

#5 Johnyboy1998

Johnyboy1998

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

If anyone has this problem on any version of windows, this fix for vista should work, it worked for me on the latest build of windows 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users