Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen On Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tkyleh

tkyleh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:53 PM

When I try to shutdown my Compaq Presario Series 7000 Windows Me desktop computer under normal shutdown procedures, I quite often get a Blue Screen error message that says something like:

"WINDOWS -- An Error Has Occured. To Continue, Press Enter to return to Windows, or press CNTL ALT DEL to restart your computer. If you do this, you will lose any unsaved information in all your applications.
ERROR: 0D: 0D5C : 00007986 Press Any Key to Continue "

However, when I try to do any of the above, nothing happens ! The computer is frozen! I have no alternative but to simply cut the power.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:18 PM

Try Steps 1-4 in the following document. I would skip Step #5. Although the big PC makers have made it easier for us to update the BIOS, I would only attempt it if you consider yourself an advanced user.

HP and Compaq PCs - Windows Fails to Close
JC

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

Here's a link to start with. There are links to other places there, too. Have you done anything recently that might have caused this, such as replacing a video card? And it is a common problem that a corrupted Exit Windows sound file can cause the shutdown to fail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users