Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop crashes as if overheating, but SpeedFan shows normal temperatures.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MyPoorLaptop

MyPoorLaptop

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:19 AM

I have been having trouble with an old laptop of mine that I connected to a TV. The laptop will shutdown as if it is overheating, with the fan switching onto max a few seconds before it shuts down. I have checked the temperature of the CPU and GPU and these are around 50-54 C when the shutdown occurs. 

My specs are:

• Brand: Acer
  • Model: TM 5740G
  • CPU: i5-430M
  • GPU: Randon HD 5470

I have already tried the following:

• Clean the fan and removed and replaced the thermal grease.
  • Reinstalled windows to remove in malware that could be present.
  • Replaced the fan.
  • Ran the computer on battery only and on mains power only.
  • Left the computer on the login screen and the problem still occurred.
  • Reduced the processor to a maximum state of 20%. (Interestingly, it seem to crash less 100%, although this bit be a coincident.)
  • All fan settings in the bios are hidden and i can't control it manually with SpeedFan.

I am out of ideas on how to fix this, even if it can't be fixed the curious side of me wants to know which part is failing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:15 AM

Try to measure with Real Temp and HWMonitor. I find those to be more reliable than SpeedFan.

#3 MyPoorLaptop

MyPoorLaptop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:25 AM

Try to measure with Real Temp and HWMonitor. I find those to be more reliable than SpeedFan.

Thanks for the reply,

Just tested them, both HWMonitor and Real Temp gave temperature readings that were consistent with SpeedFan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users