Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ram Dell optiplex

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dalethomas15

Dalethomas15

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:06 AM

with the death of my main system. i need my old pc and unfurnelty it has two gb of ram and i put one two 2gb 800mz and i turned the system back on and the motherboard halted  listing ram error ram not compatible... the tenical manual says it can http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optix_330_techspecs.pdf. i am confused

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:00 AM

Tried it in both slots? Put the original memory back in and check the bios memory settings and see if it is set auto timings or manual timings.

#3 Dalethomas15

Dalethomas15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:02 AM

yes. ether slot but the system still rejects it.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:34 PM

Try this..

Unplug the tower from the power, pull the bios battery out and press the power button to clear any stored energy in the PSU. Then put back the bios battery and see if you can get it to boot with the memory.

Anyways, I see what you're saying about the manual. It does say it supports single or dual memory of ddr2 667mhz and 800mhz types.. It's really basic info and doesn't go into details much like QVL (Qualified Vendor List) would. Some memory just will not work for whatever architectural reasons. That and Dell in the past was and still is proprietary in both design of cases and hardware, motherboards, PSU. By the sound of the error it might just be that the bios is outdated.

Support webpage for the machine...Here Be sure to double check that your motherboard, system model & serial numbers match. There is always a possibility of different hardware in a machine than it originally had if you bought it used and not new.

Edited by technonymous, 09 November 2016 - 02:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users