Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Brightness on my Windows Adjustment not working

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:10 PM

The adjustment no longer works. And the screen is blindingly bright giving me a supersized migraine.

Anybody know how to fix this please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:54 PM

Not on the information you have given us.

Desktop or laptop ?  Make and model ?  Main component specs if it is self-built ?  Post back with this information

In the most general sense, if it is a desktop borrow another monitor, if it is a laptop connect it to an external monitor. This will at least tell you if it is a monitor/screen problem or a computer problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:42 PM

Not on the information you have given us.

Desktop or laptop ?  Make and model ?  Main component specs if it is self-built ?  Post back with this information

In the most general sense, if it is a desktop borrow another monitor, if it is a laptop connect it to an external monitor. This will at least tell you if it is a monitor/screen problem or a computer problem.

Chris Cosgrove

I have a Dell Laptop   Does this include the info you need?  - Thanks for checking.

Operating System
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
    AMD K16    43 °C
    Mullins Technology
RAM
    4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-12-28)
Motherboard
    Dell Inc. Inspiron 3541 (P0)    43 °C
Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@64Hz)
    ATI Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (Dell)
Storage
    465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000LPVX-75V0T SATA Disk Device (SATA)    33 °C
Optical Drives
    PLDS DVD+-RW DU-8A5LH SATA CdRom Device
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Graphics
        Monitor
            Name    Generic PnP Monitor on Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
            Current Resolution    1366x768 pixels
            Work Resolution    1366x720 pixels
            State    Enabled, Primary
            Monitor Width    1366
            Monitor Height    768
            Monitor BPP    32 bits per pixel
            Monitor Frequency    64 Hz
            Device    \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
        ATI Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
            Manufacturer    ATI
            Model    Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
            Device ID    1002-9851
            Subvendor    Dell (1028)
            Current Performance Level    Level 0
            GPU Clock    0.0 MHz
            Driver version    6.3.9600.16384
                Count of performance levels : 1
                    Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"

Edited by JayJax, 08 November 2016 - 08:49 PM.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:09 AM

Any of these tips work?

http://www.jdhodges.com/blog/dell-brightness-control-fn-hotkeys-stuck/

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:53 AM

Visit your laptop manufacturer website and download the latest version of the graphic card driver for your laptop.

Posted Image

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:30 PM

Sadly, no - I followed the recommended procedure and it didn't work but it was worth a try and simple enough for even me to be able to do it.

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:38 PM

Visit your laptop manufacturer website and download the latest version of the graphic card driver for your laptop.

I'll see if I can figure out how to do that - I don't find those sites very useful they always want info I can't find but I'll give it a go.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:56 AM

Visit below website and execute below command from Command Prompt that is open as a administrator.

wmic CSPRODUCT get  /format:list

The Dell website asking for Service Tag above command will output the Service Tag.

For example my laptop service tag is MBSR000686764 the output of above command list it as IdentifyingNumber=MBSR000686764.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/tr/tr/trbsdt1/Products?app=drivers

How to Locate Service Tag of Your Computer

Edited by FreeBooter, 10 November 2016 - 08:25 AM.

Posted Image

#9 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:03 PM

Visit below website and execute below command from Command Prompt that is open as a administrator.

wmic CSPRODUCT get  /format:list

The Dell website asking for Service Tag above command will output the Service Tag.

For example my laptop service tag is MBSR000686764 the output of above command list it as IdentifyingNumber=MBSR000686764.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/tr/tr/trbsdt1/Products?app=drivers

THANKS that's very helpful I will go ahead and check with Dell.   Incidentally, I'm not sure if this is connected but it may be - about the same time I noticed the failure of the screen brightness procedure - I notice that the "sleep" choice is unavailable, I only have the choice to shut down the computer or not.   I'm not sure if these have technology in common or not and they could be connected or not. 

I input the information you specified and for the Identifying Number I got 5X26C12 which does not conform with your MBS....... number - not sure why.

Edited by JayJax, 10 November 2016 - 08:16 PM.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:24 PM

My service tag was example every computer has different service tag so execute below command and use the service tag at Dell website link.

wmic bios get serialnumber

EDIT: Visit below link to download device drivers for you laptop.

Drivers available for Service Tag 5X26C12​

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/5x26c12/drivers/advanced

Edited by FreeBooter, 10 November 2016 - 08:26 PM.

Posted Image

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:07 PM

My service tag was example every computer has different service tag so execute below command and use the service tag at Dell website link.

wmic bios get serialnumber

EDIT: Visit below link to download device drivers for you laptop.

Drivers available for Service Tag 5X26C12​

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/5x26c12/drivers/advanced

Well that was quite easy to complete as you had it all set up thank you.   There was a notice that one driver was available (it did not say which one to my knowledge) and so I did download and install it.   That part is great.   The problem with the brightness level adjustment not working remains.   If go to the brightness adjustment it shows that it is set on the lowest level which would be on the dimmer side however in actuality I can't imagine it being much brighter.   And I am wondering if there is a damaged file program?   Because about the same time I noticed this it also is the case that there is no longer on option to "sleep" the system.   There are two choices: shut down or restart?

Anyway I did successfully download and install one driver which went off without a hitch so that part is all good.  Thank you very much for making it all go so smoothly and sharing your knowledge to my benefit.

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:33 PM

I was looking at the Dell website and came upon two items listed below which might help me - what is your opinion?   I know just enough to get myself into more trouble so I ask your opinion.   If you think either of this will help do you have information on how to do these tests?   I went to the downloads website but it didn't say anything about files only drivers?   Your opinion appreciated.   It seems like the built in self test would be a logical next step ?

1. Test the LCD in the System Setup (BIOS).
  2. Run the Laptop LCD Built-In Self Test (LCD BIST).

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:24 PM

Have you download and install graphic card driver if you are having problem finding correct driver please let us know?

Posted Image

#14 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:46 PM

Have you download and install graphic card driver if you are having problem finding correct driver please let us know?

I did download one driver during the process you referred me to - I don't know what driver it was but it was named amifldrv64.sys

I don't know how to locate any of the other drivers for graphic card.

I did find the method to run the Self-Test and the Dell Diagnostics test as well - the Self-Test passed all areas (but I do not think it was for software or drivers) and I received lots of recommendations for what to do on my own to find any problems but they appear quite involved and I just now got thru with the tests which took well over an hour.  So I think I will leave it at that for the night but if you can tell me how to locate and download the graphic driver that would be great. Thanks very much.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:20 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

To keep a record of your system profile at any given time, you can publish to the Web using Speccy. Speccy uses Piriform's servers to publish the profile without any identifying information. Each profile is given a unique URL. For an example, see:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nGmV1yekiTFbWJJ1oggVwcV

The last part of each URL is randomized, so only people you provide with the URL will be able to find your profile.

Note: Each time you start Speccy, it will generate a new randomized URL. This is useful if you want to track your computer's information over time.

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

•  

• In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.

• In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.

• Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

• In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by FreeBooter, 11 November 2016 - 11:21 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users