Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Desktop fails to POST

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ShazarTru

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

I have had the desktop that I built for around 2 1/2 years. This next part may or may not be relevant, but about a year ago there was a lightning strike close to my house that caused a brownout. I had my desktop plugged into a power strip, and everything appeared to be fine. The only odd thing was that whenever I would power down my system, it would shut down, but then power back on immediately.

Within the past month, it has started "freezing" when it would go to sleep (while I was at work, away for a few hours, etc). By freezing, it would automatically shut down, then the fans would startup at a very high rate (imagine a heavy processing program running) and the computer would fail to respond. Holding the power button did not shut it off, and I would have to manually turn the PCU off. Also within the past week, I have had 2 BSODs. The first one I failed to capture, but I believe it was DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. The 2nd I failed to read at all, and this is where my current problem started.

I held down the power button to shut the system off, and rebooted. After booting to the Windows Loading Screen, it sat there clocking for 15 minutes, at which point I decided to power down and try restarting again. After failing to even boot to the BIOS splash screen at this point, I tried switching monitors (to rule out a video issue), and have had no luck since getting the system to POST.

I have since breadboxed the motherboard with only the CPU, HSU and PSU attached (no RAM inserted). When powering up in this state, I will either get a continuous rapid short beep, or a continuous very rapid short beep. After inserting one or both stick of RAM, I get no beeps.

I did purchase a new PCU (400W, the old one is 430W), with the same results. I'm beginning to think it's not the PCU, but my only concern is that the old PCU had 8 pins connecting to the motherboard, while the new one only has 4, and it's possible that both are bad with the new one being DOA. They are connected correctly, as the design of the plastic housing around the pins only allows for it to be connected one way. What are my next steps to continue diagnosing whether it is the motherboard, CPU, or an alternative problem?

I have included the specs of the system as follows:

CPU AMD|ATH X4 760K 3.8G FM2 R

Please advise on what next steps I can take to further diagnose the problem, and if there is any pertinent information I have left out, please ask. Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

I'm guessing the old PSU was a cheap one? What you described in the first part of the post sounds like a classic PSU failure.

While I had systems start with only 4 of the 8 pins connected with power, I can't say for sure that it's the case for you. It's not very likely that the PSU is DOA, but if you have another computer to test it with, go ahead.

Otherwise, it's either the 4-pin incompatibility or a bad motherboard. I lean towards the latter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users