Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

~~Installing a USB Wireless Adapter to Network~~

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

Hope I haven't bit off a little more than I can chew.....Neighbor has a LINKSYS wireless router installed, and 3 computers connected. He has an older computer that he would like to connect to the network ( XP OS). I have a LINKSYS WUSB6300 wireless adapter that I want to use on this computer to hook to the network. I know at some point the install of the USB adapter is going to ask for the wireless network password. Something that is not written down by my neighbor....On my network, there was a technique where you can type in a web address and obtain this password. Can I do this to use to install the USB adapter? Wouldn't you have to have a password to access the password control of the router? Any ideas on how to make this an EASY , trouble free install......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:51 PM

You would have to get into the Linksys router from one of the working machines.  The IP address of the router is most likely the gateway address of one of the working computers.  Some routers won't allow you to see the password and you may have to reset the router in order to create a password that you know.

#3 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:16 PM

How do I find the IP address of the router. All the other machines on the network have internet access....trying to hook this next machine up....thanks

#4 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

~~Thought of another way around the " password to the modem" problem. He has an IPHONE, and I think you can open a wifi hotspot through the Iphone...I could then just connect through the Iphone if we can't get the password problem figured out. Would that be workable here??

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:47 PM

not a modem but a router.  do a ipconfig at a command prompt at your neighbors.  The gateway address is the address to access the router. your neighbor will need to logon to the router and reset the password to something they know. Otherwise its a factory reset to basics and reconfigure the router.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 09 November 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#6 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for clering this up...Does the IPHONE hotspot idea seem workable??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users