Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xbox One Lags

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 barwarner

barwarner

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:22 PM

My children complain of their Xbox One "lagging" when they are playing with their friends online.  The game console is connected to the internet through an Ethernet cable which is connected to the second router on my home network.  Is this a configuration problem?

Barry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:13 PM

It's not easy to troubleshoot such problems without being a gamer yourself. Are the problems game-specific? Do they occur all the time or only sometimes? Maybe someone is using up all the bandwidth at home at the time they are playing. It could very well be beyond your control, ISP or routing problems etc.

If you want to rule out configuration problems, connect a computer to that 2nd router and run WinMTR with a close-by, reliable server (e.g. google). That way you can check that there's no packet loss or jitter. 

I'm not a console gamer, so I'm not sure if this is necessary, but it seems like Xbox Live requires you to forward ports to play online. http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

In addition to these generic ports, there may be game-specific ports that need forwarding. Note that because you have two routers, you will need to forward twice; your internet-facing router should forward to the "second router" and from that, to the Xbox One.

#3 barwarner

barwarner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:29 PM

The kids complain about the lagging mostly when they are playing a game called Call of Duty.  I have a feeling the problem is with the port forwarding you mention, as I have not configured the router to do this.  Could you be more specific is saying I would need to forward twice - how do you forward a port from one router to another?  Thanks.

#4 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

The kids complain about the lagging mostly when they are playing a game called Call of Duty.  I have a feeling the problem is with the port forwarding you mention, as I have not configured the router to do this.  Could you be more specific is saying I would need to forward twice - how do you forward a port from one router to another?  Thanks.

The second router has an "external" IP. You need to forward from the first router to that IP. Your primary router goes to the WAN port on the second router, right?

Edited by Xoctane, 08 November 2016 - 04:17 PM.

#5 barwarner

barwarner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:38 PM

It goes to the port labelled "internet" on the second router

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users