Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

InstallME and Flash Player listed as devices

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:55 AM

mac 10.6.8

I recently updated Flash Player. Just now I went to Macbook in Finder and found that there is an InstallMe listed as a device with Installer.app with a red box and the slanted f icon underneath. There is also a device named Flash Player with a little disk drive icon in black with the slanted f on it. These can only be ejected not moved to trash.

I remember that when I clicked on a flashplayer.dmg when attempting to update nothing appeared to happen. So I deleted it and redownloaded the flashplayer update which installed w/out problem. The dmg in the pck file was titled install_flash_player_osx(2) 21-54-41.dmg instead of just flashplayer.dmg

Can I just eject these nondevice devices?

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:57 AM

Sorry I posted twice by mistake. Can I delete one?

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:41 PM

The flash "devices" went away after I restarted.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:01 PM

Sorry I posted twice by mistake. Can I delete one?

No, you cannot delete it, but a moderator will take care of it.

Done - Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 November 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:04 PM

mac 10.6.8

I recently updated Flash Player. Just now I went to Macbook in Finder and found that there is an InstallMe listed as a device with Installer.app with a red box and the slanted f icon underneath. There is also a device named Flash Player with a little disk drive icon in black with the slanted f on it. These can only be ejected not moved to trash.

I remember that when I clicked on a flashplayer.dmg when attempting to update nothing appeared to happen. So I deleted it and redownloaded the flashplayer update which installed w/out problem. The dmg in the pck file was titled install_flash_player_osx(2) 21-54-41.dmg instead of just flashplayer.dmg

Can I just eject these nondevice devices?

A DMG file is a disk image file. Many installers on the Mac are of this format. When you double click/open a DMG file, it will mount a virtual disk. That virtual disk will then contain the installation files you would use to either install the new program or install an update to an existing program (the second is the case with Flash). The only thing that can then be done with that virtual disk when you are done is to unmount/eject it. This will automatically happen if you restart the Mac or shutdown the Mac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users