Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Dell Dimension 8200 PC outputting distorted display

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 3DMonkey

3DMonkey

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:25 AM

This is regarding an old Dell Dimension 8200 PC with 512MB RAM, Pentium 4 processor, 1.5Ghz speed, 40GB Hard Drive with Windows XP Pro SP3. It was running great up till a few months ago when, one night, (whilst the computer had been shut down but stilled plugged in to the mains as per usual) something inside went bang and there may have been some smoke. Ever since, the computer boots up to the desktop screen, portions of which are distorted and pixellated, and eventually stalls.

I connected it to a different monitor and power supply to see if it made a difference.
The results can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/krhfBzX-jQg

https://youtu.be/CI4m-rYatdM

Obviously this is not my main PC but it would be nice to have it running again.
So I would be grateful for any and all advise to fix it back to full health.
Thank you.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:24 PM

It may have been a capacitor on the mainboard or possibly the power supply.

Check the motherboard capacitors for failure. Capacitors look like small, "Quaker Oats" round boxes set on-end. They are commonly silver color, but can be black, green or brown. The tops of these should be perfectly flat on top; if there are any that are bulging upward, and if there is "goo" on the tops, possibly running down the side, or even on the bottom, that capacitor has failed. Even if the cap to is bulging with no electrolyte seeping out it is bad.

There are many capacitors on a motherboard, some large and some small. Check them all. The easiest way to do this is disconnect the computer and lay it on its side with a bright light shining in, a flashlight is good. If you find any, you have found your problem.

Additional info link:   http://badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=identity Note the pictures on the right hand side. If you find even only one on your mobo, you have found your problem.

Edited by hamluis, 10 November 2016 - 01:59 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 3DMonkey

3DMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:46 AM

Thank you Ranchhand. I will take a look inside the Dell very soon.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:09 AM

When you open the case look for evidence of smoke on the different components, motherboard, PSU, cards plugged into expansion slots.

The component which would have the largest potential for a explosion would be the PSU.  With the computer off take a sniff of the PSU from the rear vent, it is occurred there the odor will be much stronger there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 3DMonkey

3DMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Dc3, I will look out for smoke residue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users