Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Many Got This One Marked Wrong In Science Class Lol

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:18 PM

Astronomers say Pluto is not a planet

Leading astronomers declared Thursday that Pluto is no longer a planet under historic new guidelines that downsize the solar system from nine planets to eight.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

Not to mention all the last minute rewrites of science teachers class syllabuses before next month. Can you image the science teacher who has been doing this for 30 years. Just from memory says over and over again nine planets, nine I tell you!

Be (The little guy gets no respect) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:39 PM

As we learn, sometimes definitions need to be refined. I think the final outcome was a good one - certainly much better than the other proposals that would have given us 12, or 15 or 50 planets.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:40 PM

If they add three and subtract one or two, how many planets will there be in October?

Wiki-say-What?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,330 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:49 PM

I think I have to jump out a window. My solar conciousness has just been shattered.I'm feeling so out of alignment with the planets (or whatever they are now) :thumbsup: :flowers:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:23 PM

Not planets anymore, but sky-things, Boopme.
The world will never be the same.....
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:20 PM

Astronomers say Pluto is not a planet

Leading astronomers declared Thursday that Pluto is no longer a planet under historic new guidelines that downsize the solar system from nine planets to eight.

Goofy reportedly to be "Mad, Mad as Hell..." and " Not gonna take it anymore..."
Seems to be a "stunt" to gain attention to me, or they just don't want to concede that there might be a "Planet X" out there. One of a number of websites this will affect http://www.nineplanets.org/pluto.html (after all thats whats really important now isn't it? :thumbsup: )

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,330 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

Being aligned with sky things isn't leveling my cosmic awareness any either. Pluto not coming into the 12th House as a planet is stirring my milky way. But I thank you John.

I'm stuck on the line of the song Aquarius.
When Jupiter aligns with Mars
And peace will guide the sky things
and Love, will steer the stars
Just doesn't give thay groovy vibe ...

And one more thing does this change Plutoniums significance on the Periodic Chart ? :thumbsup:

PS no one Merlin Mickey's not taking this well either

Edited by boopme, 24 August 2006 - 07:46 PM.

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:44 PM

Those pesky scientists just won't Leave Well Enough Alone.

I was wondering whether a deletion would be needed when the CSO performs Holst's The Planets?
Does this mean a complete recasting of all horoscopes? Is this equivalent of an astrologer's Y2K?
Thank heaven, we still are allowed Planet Hollywood!
Cheers,
John

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:05 PM

It's a conspiracy!! A textbook publishers' conspiracy. Don't worry Lois, the "Daily Planet lives on!
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:08 PM

Microsoft issues a new version of Windows every now and then, and drops support for older versions; object---income.
Professors of astronomy change planet lists every now and then; object---new 75 dollar a clip textbooks!
John

#12 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:15 PM

Reminds me of the multiple editions for textbooks in college. They don't even change the INFORMATION in the pages, just the page numbers (add some appendices or something) and they change some numbers for the example problems. Then you HAVE to buy the newest edition so you can do the correct problems for homework...

As for the "Pluto is no longer a planet", i don't see why it SHOULDN'T be. It orbits around the sun, it's bigger than almost every asteroid i've heard of, and i don't want the "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pies" saying to be incorrect. I remembered all the planets that way!! What will it be now?!?!

#13 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

... i don't want the "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pies" saying to be incorrect. I remembered all the planets that way!! What will it be now?!?!

"My Very Economical Mother Just Served Us Noodles" ?
But it aint over till the fat planet sings...

"I'm embarrassed for astronomy. Less than 5 percent of the world's astronomers voted," said Alan Stern, leader of NASA's New Horizons mission to Pluto and a scientist at the Southwest Research Institute.

"This definition stinks, for technical reasons," Stern told Space.com. He expects the astronomy community to overturn the decision. Other astronomers criticized the definition as ambiguous.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14489259/

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#14 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

And one more thing does this change Plutoniums significance on the Periodic Chart ?

Plutonium... isn't worth as much now. :thumbsup:

:flowers:

My Very Elaborate Mother Just Saved Us (from) Ninjas.

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,330 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:42 PM

I was wondering whether a deletion would be needed when the CSO performs Holst's The Planets?

It appears Mr. Holst was as much a visionary as a composer as he didn't compose a work for Pluto. The Earth either for that matter, hmmm, more clairvoyance??

My space is shuttled, I feel mooned. But I guess I shouldn't feel so bad. Imagine the job Zeus is having right now. Consoling poor Pluto for being demoted to space debris ,,sheesh.
Well we're all heading over to Central Park West at 79th Street,NYC... the Hayden Skythingatarium to be confused by the show.

I do agree with why bother.
Skything Pluto's diameter 2274 kilometers (1413 miles)
Skything Moon's diameter 3479 kilometers (2162 miles)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users