Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows corrupt due to blackout?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Restrictedz

Restrictedz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:28 AM

Hi all,

Just a few moments ago had a sudden blackout. Booted up and the CMOS got reset as the boot order got reverted. I did not know this and hence booted normally. Immediately I realised it had booted up my old hard drive (which I connect as I still have files in there which I access from time to time).

I change back to boot from my SSD and then I encountered a multitude of issues. Icons in the toolbar are blank. Most of my software settings have been lost/reset (i.e. needing to log back in, etc). The date/time was reset back to when I last used my old hard drive (July 2012). Upon going into the Start Menu, many of the applications are treated by Windows as newly installed (i.e. identified by the yellow highlighting/shading).

Note that I still use the older hard drive, which is mapped using symbolic links via folder properties 'Location' for folders such My Documents, My Music, My Videos, etc. I don't know how this would cause the issue I am currently encountering however.

There may be other issues which I will eventually discover but for now I would like to know if there is any solution to this to get things back to the way they were prior to the blackout. I had some work to do tonight and it looks like that is not going to happen... the worst things happen at the worst of times. Apologies if this post is a little messy – just hope this can be fixed soon.

I have tried a system restore to 2 days earlier, which did successfully restore, but to no avail — same issues. I am running on Windows 7 Professional x64.

Any ideas what happened and if there is any solution to this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

Anytime there is an abrupt shutdown/loss of power...there may be file corruption.  It's a good idea/practice to run the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition (either from a command prompt or the Run command) in such instances, IMO.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

If there is file corruption in Windows you should run sfc /scannow.  chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information, but it doesn't replace corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions which sfc /scannow does.

Please run sfc /scannow

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

Do the following to access the sfc /scannow log.

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below followed by pressing the Enter key.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.   

Please noticeThis log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Double click on this icon to open the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your dropbox account and post the link in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 08 November 2016 - 10:59 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users