Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Restore Cmos Settings?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 burnselk

burnselk

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:28 PM

I have a 1998-99 (a guess) era computer (mobo MS 6117 version 1.1 LX6) that I'm trying to put back together and get working. This computer was given to me (I have no documentation). The mobo does have 2 USB ports so that may help determine the age of the computer.....just a thought.

Here's a concern of mine if I can get the mobo and everything else hooked up correcty (the mobo was only partially attached to the case when I go it)......The CMOS battery is gone[u]!! This means the CMOS settings have not been saved.

And that means the computer is not going to know how to configure the computer if and when I get it put back together.

As a result, it's not going to be able to boot the computer until the "settings" are restored.

Any good advice for me (other than saying dump it)?

What can I do? I'd really like to get this thing going again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

As a result, it's not going to be able to boot the computer until the "settings" are restored.

It isn't????? BIOS batteries go dead everyday. Simply replacing them puts you back on track - usually. Get a BIOS battery and try it. They only cost about $7 USD.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 burnselk

burnselk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:24 PM

Thanks Albert....I'll definitely do that.

I appreciate your response.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:12 PM

Let us know how you make out.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 burnselk

burnselk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

Thanks Albert.....

I can assure you I'll need your help getting this thing up and running.

And, as we go about it, keep in mind that I'm a newbie and I'm going to need all of the understanding help I can get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users