Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best free Antivirus Program Out there?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brazilusabusiness

brazilusabusiness

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:52 PM

really would love to hear about this from you guys ! learn something....

Edited by NickAu, 07 November 2016 - 07:10 PM.
Moved from General security to a more appropriate section.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:29 PM

There ain't no such animal !

There is a large choice out there of free and paid for products but the most critical element in computer security is the user. I know people who only use free products and never suffer infections, and I know people who have some of the top name paid for products who are always suffering malware.

Having said that I think nearly everybody in the field would agree that you need a multi-layer approach. An effective firewall is the first step and if you are running Win 7 or later you have the advantage that the Windows firewall is rated one of the best available. Then you need a competent A/V product. Whether you opt for one of the free ones or prefer to use one of the paid for services depends in part on your circumstances and also on the use to which you put your computer. And on top of that you need at least one malware scanner. The difference here is that free ones are 'on demand' scanners, ie they scan and update when you tell them to. The paid ones generally update themselves and run continually in the background.

But no computer infects itself - almost always some user interaction is required. Whether it is opening an email attachment from someone you don't know, or clicking on an ambiguous link it is almost always the user that lets malware in. And with some varieties, like ransomware, once it is in that's it.

And if you want a personal note - I run the free versions of Avast, Malwarebytes and Super AntiSpyware. This is merely my personal choice and in no sense a recommendation of the best products around. But take a look around this section of BC - you will find plenty of opinions and advice.

Chris Cosgrove

PS -  Data backups are a further important element of security. apart from protecting you against, for example, hard drive failure they also give you a hopefully clean source of data in the event you do become infected.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 07 November 2016 - 07:31 PM.
Add PS

#3 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:34 PM

I agree with Chris, personally I use MSE, Windows 7 Firewall & Malwarebytes Free as a second opinion scanner. I haven't had an infection for years now although that's mainly due to my extremely limited safe browsing. I could probably count on both hands the number of websites I visit regularly & I always research them with Virus Total, Google Transparency Report & Norton Safe Web before each re-visit. True many would call that overkill but I'd rather be slow than sorry.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

#4 brazilusabusiness

brazilusabusiness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:28 PM

thnx for the heads up fellows 

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:24 AM

Also to add: Reducing attack surface is also an important part in multi-layered prevention. Running an up-to-date browser with ad blocker, antiexploit software, uninstalling or setting Java, Flash etc. to click-to-play helps reduce possible interaction with malware sources, and thus lowering chance of infection.

With a proper setup and safe surfing, you can stay clean for a very long time using (mostly) free products.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:39 PM

Here are links to some related discussion topics:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:11 PM

I would choose Bitdefender or kaspersky :bounce:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:51 PM

As noted in the links I provided, other members also like each of them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users