Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Was running updates and computer shut down- Will not power back on.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Grid

Grid

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:47 PM

I have a "HP Pavilion 23 all-in-one" desktop running Windows 8 or slightly higher (Definitely not 10). I haven't used it in about 2 months. I powered it on today and started running updates it missed out on; Apple Itunes and Norton. I opened a board on Chrome during the process but got nothing. I saw my bookmarks there on the bookmarks bar, but nothing came on the page- black board. All of a sudden, mid install, the computer sort of powered off. The screen went black for about three seconds, then on for three seconds, then off for three, etc. The power light remained on as well as a power light on the back, as well as some internal lighting that could be seen from the vents. It made a sound every time the screen went black like it was powering off, but I could still see all the lights on. I unplugged it from the wall for a few minutes and tried again. It will no longer power on, but I still see lights on internally. Not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated  :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:42 PM

Sorry to say, it sounds like a motherboard failure.

#3 Grid

Grid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:49 AM

That doesn't sound good. Is there any way to repair or replace the motherboard without losing the files? And if not, is there any way to at least recover the files off of it in its current state?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:10 AM

The files are stored on the hard drive, not the motherboard. They are probably safe. You could mount the hard drive on another computer to retrieve the files or just replace the motherboard yourself if you feel confident enough. That really depends how technically minded you are though. It might be better to get a store or a friend to do it for you.

If you google search things like "your machine model replace motherboard" and "your machine model teardown" you will find videos that show you how to do it step by step.

#5 Grid

Grid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

Thank you Tsvk! I'm pretty inexperienced so I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I will investigate into videos and replacement options. Thank you again!

Edited by Grid, 09 November 2016 - 02:41 PM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:25 PM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users