Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop crashes during boot process

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gobfink

gobfink

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:13 PM

Hi,

So my computer crashes during the bootup procedure.

1. I power on the computer with a flash drive with the Xubuntu 14.04 - 32 bit installer on it.

2. It loads the installer menu fine.

3. I select 'Try Xubuntu without installing'

4. This part starts fine and continues through the boot sequence, but the  computer will just poweroff before it is done. (No warnings or anything)

Also I have tried the Ubuntu-Minimal Installer:

1. Boots from flash-drive

2. Selected Command-line install

3. Select the correct keyboard and starts

4. Goes to the window "Detecting Hardware please wait ... "  and it then crashes

To try and debug where this issue is coming from I have:

Replaced the 1 GB RAM with 2 GB (detected in BIOS fine)

Flashed an updated BIOS through freeDOS (This worked fine from a flash drive)

Disconnected the HDD

Inspected fan and ensured that it is dust free

Ran memtest86 overnight succesfully with no errors

The Specific laptop is an Acer Aspire One D255 laptop

It looks to me that there is something wrong with the hardware, but how do I begin identifying the culprit?

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by gobfink, 08 November 2016 - 10:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:03 AM

Hi,

Does this laptop still have Windows on it, and does that still boot?

Is the "Ubuntu minimal installer" you tried, also a 14.04 (or later) release?

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:35 AM

The Specific laptop is an Asus Aspire One D255 laptop

Don't you mean "Acer Aspire One"

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 gobfink

gobfink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:32 AM

The Specific laptop is an Asus Aspire One D255 laptop

Don't you mean "Acer Aspire One"

You are correct, sorry about that

#5 gobfink

gobfink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:52 AM

Hi,

Does this laptop still have Windows on it, and does that still boot?

Is the "Ubuntu minimal installer" you tried, also a 14.04 (or later) release?

Yes the minimal Installer is 32 bit Ubuntu 14.04 as well 

Oh yes I meant to post this stuff, but I didn't:

So the same as if it were booting Linux, when it tries to boot Windows 7 from the hard drive it goes to the Windows loading screen with a small green loading bar, and runs for a couple seconds then just crashes. (Similar behavior when running Windows Startup repair)

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:07 AM

I agree with your original suspicion that the fault might lie with the hardware.

Has the laptop been disassembled for cleaning, or any other purpose?

Does the fan come on when the laptop is trying to boot, and if so does it run faster than you are used to?

When you try to boot Xubuntu, Windows 7 and Windows startup repair, respectively, does the laptop always switch off at the same points in the boot processes, or does it vary?

I'll move this thread to the Internal Hardware forum where hardware experts are more likely to see it.

The more information you can provide on the laptop's behaviour, the better.

Edited by Al1000, 08 November 2016 - 10:08 AM.

#7 gobfink

gobfink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:52 AM

I agree with your original suspicion that the fault might lie with the hardware.

Has the laptop been disassembled for cleaning, or any other purpose?

Does the fan come on when the laptop is trying to boot, and if so does it run faster than you are used to?

When you try to boot Xubuntu, Windows 7 and Windows startup repair, respectively, does the laptop always switch off at the same points in the boot processes, or does it vary?

I'll move this thread to the Internal Hardware forum where hardware experts are more likely to see it.

The more information you can provide on the laptop's behaviour, the better.

It has not been disassembled in its entirety. I've removed the keyboard and the back cover to take out the hard drive, swap the RAM, and inspect the fan, but nothing farther then that. 

Yes when in the BIOS menu you can really hear the fan working.

When you power on the computer, you can hear the fan when the computer first comes on and then you don't really hear it again in the OS installation/ bootup procedure.

It seems normal to me.

Yes in the same exact spot. I'm almost certain if I left it at the menu in the Xubuntu boot it would be fine sitting there until I go to actually launch the OS.

By pushing a button during the Xubuntu boot procedure (I think its the up arrow) I can see the steps in the boot procedure, and I took a video to see what they say right before it crashes.

They go:

* Starting configure network device                   [OK]

* VirtualBox Additions disabled, not in a virtual machine

* Starting network connection manager             [OK]

* Stopping cold plug devices                              [OK]

* Stopping log initial device creation                  [OK]

* Starting configure network device security      [OK]

* Starting enable remaining boot-time encrypted block devices   [OK]

* Starting configure virtual network devices       [OK] 

Almost immediately after this message is displayed it crashes. Every time

and the same case for the Ubuntu Minimal installer, it runs fine up until it hits the installation screen labelled as 'Detecting Hardware please wait ...") which it then crashes after like a fraction of a second.

Windows is a bit harder to tell if its in the same position,  but it always crashes inside the same loading bar. 

Thanks again!

I think what I'm going to try to do is see what message is normally displayed after the "* Starting configure virtual devices message              [OK]" and see what its trying to do that causes it to crash so abruptly.

Edited by gobfink, 08 November 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:48 AM

It sounds like the computer is failing the POST (Power On Self Test).  This check your peripheral devices, it there is a problem with one of the devices the computer doesn't pass the POST and doesn't boot.

You have run Memtest86 without errors, so it doesn't look like RAM is the problem.

If the fan is running then I would suspect that there isn't a problem with power adapter.

Do you see you ssd/hdd in the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 gobfink

gobfink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

So in my latest configuration I had removed the hard drive and was booting from a flash drive, but when I put the hard drive back in I do see it (and the correct model) in the BIOS

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:01 PM

What is the make of this hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 gobfink

gobfink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

Its an old 160 GB Hitatchi hard drive.

The back of it reads: HDD   : 5K500. B-160

HTS545016B9A300    5400RPM

Type TS5SAA160

#12 gobfink

gobfink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:15 PM

So I just tried booting into safe mode with the windows image and was able to get to the login page (farther than Ive ever gotten before). So it looks like there is something that is crashing it that is loaded during the normal boot sequence, but not in safe mode

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

What is the media used for the Windows image?

If this is installation media, can you get to the Repair option in the installation?  If you can doe the following.

Repair Installation Instructions

Attention:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical driver is the first device in the boot order, and the HDD/SSD is the second devcice.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, do so.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

#14 gobfink

gobfink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:02 PM

What is the media used for the Windows image?

So the Windows image is the installed version on the hdd.

If this is installation media, can you get to the Repair option in the installation?  If you can doe the following.

Its not, but let me download the windows 7 installation iso and try this. 

I'll keep you posted.
Thanks

#15 gobfink

gobfink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:22 PM

So my computer does not have a CD/DVD drive. I was able to write a 32 bit Windows 7 recovery image to a flash drive and boot off of it. It then prompted me if I would like to do Startup Repair or  Start Windows as normal. After selecting Startup repair, it searched for awhile and told me it was going to restore a previous version.

After sometime it told me that it was not successful because "a recent driver upgrade or installation may be preventing the system from starting"

I then tried it again and it went through the Startup repair and it went through "repairing disk errors" on the computer. It then completed successfully and recommend me to restart it, and that it should work fine. 

When it restarted it had the same behavior: It makes it to the loading Windows menu and after a second or so it abruptly crashes.

After running a third time, it asks for a system restore. Running that it then complains about "a recent driver upgrade or installation may be preventing the system from starting. System Restore, failed Error code = 0x490 

It seems to me, when the computer tries to access some particular hardware it crashes. Whether it is loading the OS from the hdd, or a flash drive. Whenever it tries to access it, it just crashes. Is there a way I can see what its trying to access, and then abruptly crashing? Maybe there's a short in some particular peripheral that's crashing it.

Also it does seem to run fine in safe mode. I would be interested in seeing what safe mode isn't doing that is allowing it to avoid this crash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users