Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build - No Post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dsol828

dsol828

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:36 PM

Hello, newby here building his first home server.

Got my CPU, Memory and fans plugged into the motherboard and power supply. Powering up turns on all fans but no post, no beep, no bios.

Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4s

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k LGA 1151

CPU Heatsink: Thermaltake CLP0556-B

Memory: Samsung DDR4 2133MHz 8GB (x2)

PSU: EVGA 80+ 600W ATX 12V

Here is my fear. I initially did a breadboard build without the heatsink fan installed. I've read online that this could have fried the CPU... Could that be the issue? Anything else I can try to troubleshoot why I'm not getting a post? I realize this might be a vague and open ended question...

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperTA

SuperTA

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:00 PM

I have a few suggestions - they are listed below;

- Take out the motherboard and check that there are no standoffs where there are no mounting holes. If a standoff shorting out the board is your issue, you may need a new board.

- Re-seat the CPU. Sometimes there might be a pin in the socket that is not making contact with the CPU

- Check that there are no bent/missing pins in the socket. If this is the case, no manufacturer will warranty that board.

- Try using only one of the DIMMs and see if that fixes the issue

About your concern with the CPU potentially overheating - most CPUs are designed to withstand up to 100 degrees Celsius. If the CPU wasn't under a load when you didn't have a heatsink on it, it is most likely not the issue.

#3 dsol828

dsol828
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:26 PM

I pulled the board out, sure enough, there is one standoff without a mounting hole... great...

safe bet that the board is toast?

#4 SuperTA

SuperTA

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

That is most likely the case. But, I'm curious about the CPU socket. Can you take a picture of the bare socket so I can see the pins?

#5 dsol828

dsol828
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

Looking at the socket, I feel like ALL pins are bent... uniformly. But maybe I'm wrong.

When I close the clasp on the chip to secure it to the socket, it makes a bit of a grinding noise, but keep in mind, as a newbie, this all might be fairly standard.

photos of socket: (not sure why the second is posting upside down... )

1029c9d608.jpg

1029f91ab2.jpg

Edited by dsol828, 07 November 2016 - 05:41 PM.

#6 SuperTA

SuperTA

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

Other than that, try contacting ASRock and see if they will warranty it. If not, you will need a new board.

#7 SuperTA

SuperTA

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:42 PM

The pins are fine - none of them look bent. The grinding noise is normal when you close the retention arm.

Edited by SuperTA, 07 November 2016 - 05:45 PM.

#8 dsol828

dsol828
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:44 PM

Other than that, try contacting ASRock and see if they will warranty it. If not, you will need a new board.

Telling them why the board might be shot (the standoff)? or playing dumb and asking for a new one?

#9 SuperTA

SuperTA

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

Telling them why the board might be shot (the standoff)? or playing dumb and asking for a new one?

Uhh.... I wouldn't play dumb with support. Tell them exactly what happened and see what they say.

Edited by SuperTA, 07 November 2016 - 05:50 PM.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:36 PM

Try resetting the BIOS back to factory default; I have had two instances where the CMOS settings were preventing boot. Resetting solved the issue. For bench building, maybe a suggestion here will help.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#11 dsol828

dsol828
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:42 PM

I realized that my DIMM was ECC while the motherboard does not support ECC... that matters, apparently!

Unbuffered DIMM installed and successful post. Luckily CPU and Mobo are all good!

Thanks for the help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users