Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing router IP address

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 barwarner

barwarner

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:25 PM

My D-Link router's default IP address is 192.168.0.1.  I want to change it to anything but the default, but when I do I either cannot access it using the new IP address or I get the message "IP address cannot be on the same LAN IP address of the router".  If it makes a difference, I am accessing it while it is off the network, plugged into only a laptop using an Ethernet cable.

What guidelines should I be using to set the new IP address?  Thanks.

Barry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:29 PM

Why do you want to change the LAN side IP? The WAN side is assigned by your ISP.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 barwarner

barwarner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

Maybe I don't need to change it, but I am configuring it as a second router on my home network and the document I am following instructs me to change the default IP address.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

Are you adding the second router to expand the network? Or are you setting up the second router as a repeater?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 barwarner

barwarner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

To expand the network for both wireless and wired access.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:52 PM

No reason to change the lan subnet but if you want do so you need to use something other than the subnet  you choose since that appears to be what the 1st router lan is using which is why you are getting that message.

Here is a good guide to follow

http://www.techsupportforum.com/3001-connecting-additional-routers/

Edited by Wand3r3r, 07 November 2016 - 06:52 PM.

#7 barwarner

barwarner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:03 AM

I guess I won't change the IP of the router then, but it hasn't even been connected to the first router yet so I still don't understand what I was getting that "IP address cannot be on the same LAN IP address of the router" message.  The only thing its connected to is a laptop for configuration.

Thanks.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:01 PM

After you change the router's IP address you should do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then IPCONFIG /RENEW from a command prompt on the machine you are using to connect to the router.  You don't say what you are configuring the address to be, that may be part of your issue.  Normally you would just change the last digit, from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.5 for instance.  If you changed it to 192.168.1.1 you wouldn't be able to connect to it without doing the IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then IPCONFIG /RENEW because it would be on a different network that you computer can't get to without a router.

Edited by Kilroy, 08 November 2016 - 04:16 PM.

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:37 PM

Of course ipconfig /renew-release only works if you are set as a dhcp client and not doing static assignment to yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users