Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange beeping sound

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krisjan76

krisjan76

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 09 December 2004 - 09:08 AM

I have an HP zd7010us laptop with 512 MB of RAM and 64 MB of video RAM. While playing my favorite game of all time (Day of Defeat) I notice during certain graphics intensive scenes (lots of shooting, running around) my computer will issue a beeping sound. Anyone know what this means? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:07 AM

:thumbsup: to BC krisjan76 !!

You mention a strange beeping sound when playing a game on your laptop. Let me guess, everything slows down, and you almost have to wait for the computer to catch up for you to play again, right?

My educated guess would be that you have too many things running, while playing the game. When playing any game, you want the game to have as much RAM as possible. You have a 64 MG video card, which for everyday computer activities is fine. When you are playing a graphic intense game, is it often not enough though. I know-that is what I have in mine (64MG vid card).

Lets try a few things to get your game to work the way that you want to.

First of all, is this game an online game? If it is not, then you may want to physically disconnect the internet from the computer. Then, and only then, you can disable your firewall and anti-virus software. If you want to go this route, then it would probably be easier to make a new user. This way, when you are ready to play the game, you can restart to that user, and you will not have to worry about that stuff even being loaded up at startup. Again, only do this if you also have the internet physically disabled!!

If this is an online game, and you have broadband internet, do you have a router? Almost all routers have firewalls built-in, and that would be one less thing to have loaded up.

When was the last time that you cleaned up your hard drive? Empty the Recycle Bin and defrag the Hard Drive (both) in Safe Mode can speed up your computer, if you have not done it in a while. If you have it set as a Scheduled Task, then I would take it off, and run it manually. IMHO, Scheduled Task uses up too much RAM for something that is better to do manually anyway (any application).

Do you have alot of programs that you are not using any more? You may want to burn them to CD/DVD, and remove them in Safe Mode as well. This would be especially helpful if the game ran good at one time, but now you see that it has been sluggish.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 krisjan76

krisjan76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:20 AM

thanks jason, those were all great suggestions.

i play the game online using Verizon DSL service (no router). i have only experienced this problem recently but I cannot think of any new programs I have added. I recently did a hard drive defrag and emptied my recycle bin.

I was wondering how do I check to see how many programs are running in the background? Maybe those are slowing me down. And is there a way to turn those programs off? (not just off but permanently off so they don't load every time I turn on my computer)

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:44 AM

Since you have XP Home, you can press CTRL+ALT+DEL on your keyboard at any time, and it will bring up the Task Manager. There, you will see many tabs: Applications, Processes, Performance, Networking, and Users.

The Applications tab shows you the applications that you have running. In the example of your game, Day of Defeat, if it was running, then it would show that here, even if it is minimized.

Processes is similar to the applications tab, except it breaks it down to the individual files.

Performance is a graph that shows the CPU % usage and Page File usage.

Networking is another graph that shows a % of your connection. Very useful for finding out if you have a connection problem.

Users will show all of the current user names that you have running on your computer.

In all of these tabs, you can change the headings to suit your needs. Experiment around a little bit-it will not do any harm. Well, experiment with the headings, but be very careful about the processes tab. That one you can do some harm to your system, if you 'stop process' on some image names. If you like, you are more then welcome to post a few of the image names and applications that you have, and I will tell you if they are good to have or not. In the latter case, I will be more then happy to provide the fix for them.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:39 PM

Jason,

Your a lege.....always helpful and ever so polite.

Well Done.
JTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users