Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had "Shutdown In One Minute" prob, now won't launch, un/install progs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TPorter64

TPorter64

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:33 AM

Booting computer a few days ago, was met with dialog box that said > "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now." 

Did some searching on another computer and found this old thread that seemed to fit

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-has-encountered-a-critical-problem-and/85c25da8-eb27-4783-87eb-f82517f1ea30

I followed these instructions so far:

Method 1.
Step 1. Disable the Automatic Restart to prevent the restarts on system failure.
a. When your computer starts keep pressing F8 on your keyboard till you get the Advanced Boot Options screen.
b. Now, use arrow keys, select Disable automatic restart on system failure and press Enter.

Step 2. Start your computer in safe mode and check if you still get the error message. If it boots properly may be a third party application or a service is causing the issue. We can use 50-50 approach to narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Refer to the article below for steps about how to start your computer in clean boot state.
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Note: When the troubleshooting is over do not forget to reset the computer to normal startup. Follow the step 7 in the above article.
Method 2.
trans.gif?cver=2.13.0068.4If you suspect any virus activity I would strongly recommend you to run an online Virus Scan.
Sometimes the installed security program might not be just enough. I also recommend  you to update your security software regularly. 
a. Follow the link below to run the free online scan:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

b. Run the Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Method 1" got rid of the dialog box and the shutdowns. However, that revealed that programs won't launch. I can not install or uninstall programs. This has stopped me from running any further tools or installing/uninstalling anything that would or could help. I will receive an error that says nothing or just the copyright symbol, "©" with an "OK" button. Most of the time nothing will happen. Task Manager won't start. 

Method 2 isn't as helpful as the online tool they mention doesn't exist anymore. The malicious removal tool yielded one infected file, then hung on TCPIP.sys and would not finish the process without a hard reboot.
I've run Mbam-clean to see if i can restart malaware (which was installed prior to this) I got it it to finish once, but still no ability to install malaware anew. 

Some programs I've been able to open during boot, like task manager (via start menu...CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't do anything, and sometimes will go to black to inform me the keyboard shortcut failed)

I can sure dick around with it some more and find other threads with pieces of advice to try, but I'm afraid I'll only make it worse. What should I do?

Sorry about post 1  being a big bag of poo. I've been coming to BC over the last ten years or so for advice yet this is the first time I've ever posted. Appreciate everything and anything anyone can do for me :D

-Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joker175

joker175

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:04 AM

Hi Tporter,

Do you follow this advise? 

Download and burn to CD the kav rescue ISO image from http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/kav_rescue_10.iso. Do a full system scan booting from the disc you created. Remove all found infection, including that stupid annoying rootkit, and you're done! 

Try to check this suggestion, then let me know if this help

Elvis

#3 TPorter64

TPorter64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

I saw that somewhere also and seemed uncertain. I'll give it a go and report. Thanks.

#4 TPorter64

TPorter64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:04 PM

Ok, I burned iso mentioned to a disc, booted from it, ran the scan, it found nothing. Booted back to OS, same problem. Though the scan went by so quickly I'm kinda doubting it checked my entire drive. I couldn't find a way to manually target the scan, nor could I determine if the program could even identify my machine. It mentioned nothing about my drive(s) or my OS, or anything identifying the machine it was scanning.

The "shutdown" message is gone, but apps won't launch or quit properly. I can't install or uninstall apps here or in safe mode. I can launch Chrome right after boot and it will go online for about 10 minutes or so before it appears to disconnect and fail to load any new pages, just lurches to a halt. 

Though I can log on, the prompt now has both fields empty, and in the corner it says the copy of Windows is not genuine. Did it zap some config file somehow or is otherwise ignoring user data? I don't know. At a loss still. Do I just backup files and do a system reinstall? Should I vote Trump or Clinton? ;)

#5 TPorter64

TPorter64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

Just tried installing Malaware Bytes in Safe Mode to check again. This window pops up:

mbam-setup-2.2.1.1043.tmp - System Error

[Big Red X] ©

Like maybe the drive is listed as Read-Only or something that the installer can't even unpack. Hmm, checking permissions now.

Double hmm, my user profile has no "write" access to the drive. Enabling...

Ok, it's changing the security information for the drive... file by file... Ok. It's something.

It's taking quite a while, but it's something I guess. 

This is what happens when I have no direction. I just start dicking around and either find different problems, or make different problems. :( I'll post when it stops the security sweep.

#6 TPorter64

TPorter64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:50 PM

That did nothing.

What are my options? I've tried online virus scanners, they just flash at me.

Expletive...

#7 joker175

joker175

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:51 AM

ok

What is your operating system? do you have the windows 7 dvd? i suppose that you're not infected, but there are other hardware/software problem in your system

anyway, what's the antivirus software installed now?

ps. see this article 

Fix: Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now. – GOVARDHAN GUNNALA

Edited by joker175, 10 November 2016 - 02:52 AM.

#8 TPorter64

TPorter64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:06 AM

Hey thanks for popping in!

WIN 7 64-bit

I don't have the win 7 disc but I believe I can get the image from MS.

For Virus it was running AVG, backed up by Malaware, neither of which boot anymore.

I read the article, it seems they got results by enabling the Windows Installer Service, which is EXACTLY where I'm at now. Or maybe I'm passed it. I followed the steps to start the installer from this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2642495

I'll consistently get an error trying to start the service in Safe Mode. (Error 1084)

#9 joker175

joker175

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:17 AM

remove AVG with this removal tool 

Download tools and utilities | AVG Worldwide

now restart the system then install, for test purpose, Microsoft Security Essentials 

Security Essentials Download

After that, perform a clean boot by following this KB 

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

#10 TPorter64

TPorter64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:21 PM

So apparently I don't have AVG, but I do have Security Essentials, so I gave that a run and it hangs about 8 minutes into the scan. The malicious tool removal software also halted at about 8 minutes in.

Tried the clean boot, but I'm still getting the same errors when trying to load most programs. Either nothing will happen or I get a blank dialog box with a "©" as the only message. 

Can't run online virus scanners and can't install/uninstall/open programs in normal or safe mode.

#11 joker175

joker175

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:55 AM

at this moment, i think that the system is unstable: i suggest to save your data in one external disk and then reinstall completely the operating system. 

Then, install the latest drivers released from the OEM support and one good antivirus like MSE or Avast

ps. if you have Windows 10 use the integrated Windows Defender 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users