Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow PC and monitor working intermittently

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alonshow

Alonshow

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:16 AM

My PC has been quite unreliable and slow for about a month and a half. I don't remember having done anything special before this started to happen. The symptoms suggest there might be a virus, but a full system scan with Panda shows nothing. In this time I have tried dozens of troubleshooting steps. They seem to have improved a bit the health of the PC, but overall the problems persist. Right now there are two major issues and three minor issues with which I need help. All of them seem to be connected in some way. Of course, the major issues have priority for me:

Major:

• Overall the PC is quite slow. The task manager shows high CPU usage even when the computer is idle (which is most of the time). The hard drive is busy for much longer than seems necessary for the PC workload.
  • Many times when I restart the computer the screen goes blank. I switch it off using the power button and then start it again. After several attempts (anywhere between one and ten) the screen works again.
  • My WiFi connection works poorly, it fails very often. A few weeks ago the usual WiFi icon changed into an Ethernet icon with a red cross, which would suggest that there is no connection. The icon is always there, regardless of whether I'm connected to the Internet or not. I attach the icon: Attached File  Internet icon.png   798bytes   0 downloads

Minor:

• Every time I start Windows it displays this error message: "Corrupted installer: invalid opcode". (That's my translation. I use a Spanish version of Windows. The actual message is “Instalador dañado: cód. Operación no válido”). A Google search suggests this is related to a Mozilla product. The only Mozilla product I have is Firefox, so that must be it.
  • The icon of Microsoft Outlook has disappeared, although the program itself runs fine.

I keep a log of the stuff I do with my PC. I copy below the troubleshooting I've done so far in case it helps:

23 September

The computer is extremely slow. The task manager shows very high CPU usage even when the computer is idle, sometimes up to 100%. Also, the internet connection fails all the time, like every ten minutes, or even more often.

Solution tried: Windows repair install

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Downloaded a Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64 bits retail ISO.

The repair install failed, so I requested help in sevenforums:

I'm stuck at step 12. The program complains of several compatibility issues. Some I could fix, but with others I don't know what to do. These are the ones I fixed:

• Network adapters: Surf Wireless Micro USB Adapter.
    Updated driver, fixed.
  • Network adapters: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.
    Updated driver, fixed.
  • Compatibility issues with iTunes.
    Uninstalled it, fixed.

And these the ones that keep me stuck:

• VNUSB Device: VN Series Device.
    Don't even know what to do with this.
  • System devices: Intel® Management Engine Interface.
    For this one and the next one I installed the Intel Driver Update Utility. However, the utility says all my drivers are up to date.
  • System devices: Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller - 1C22
  • Image devices: HP Deskjet 1510 series (USB).
    This is my printer/scanner. For this one and the next I installed the last driver from HP, but the installer still complains.
  • Universal series bus controller: HP Deskjet 1510 series(REST).
    It's funny that this is listed as a USB controller. Might be related to the problem?

Any suggestions?

The suggestion was to continue the installation anyway. Did so:

• First attempt: The screen went blank for several hours. I assumed something had gone wrong and switched off the power. However, the install repair did go ahead. When I looked for Windows updates, it searched for several hours with no results. I assumed the problem had been my hard switch off, so I decided to restart the repair install from scratch.
  • Second attempt: Again, the screen went blank for several hours several times. However, this time I only touched the machine when the power button light went orange, suggesting that it had entered hibernation. When that happened, I just turned the computer on and waited. Eventually the repair install finished.

Unfortunately, the PC is working even worse after the install repair:

• [PARTIALLY FIXED] The internet connection fails every ten minutes. Looks like this is caused by uTorrent. For the time being I just stopped using uTorrent, but I hope I find a way to fix it permanently.
  • [FIXED] Problems with Windows Update: I activated Windows and started Windows Update.
    • First attempt: It took an unbelievable 20 hours for the search to complete. This time I was patient, though. The search found 195 important updates and I scheduled all to be installed. This took a few hours, of course. Almost all installed successfully, but a few didn’t complete.
    • Second and third attempts: I ran Windows Update again with all the remaining important updates selected, but two times in a row the update returned error code 8024402C, saying it couldn’t install 5 updates.
    • Fourth attempt: Wondering if the problem might be related to the internet connection failures. Closed uTorrent in case that’s what is making the internet connection fail. Looks like it was, for this time the installation is correct.
  • [FIXED] Manictime has stopped working. The icon is still in the tray bar, but every time it tries to display the reminder to tag away time it crashes (though the tray bar icon stays after the crashes).
    • The problem was that the .NET framework was corrupted. Download the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool and it fixed it.
  • [PARTIALLY FIXED] The computer is as slow as before, if not more.
    • After I completed the Windows Updates, the computer started to work properly again. The CPU usage seems still too high, though.

7 Oct

• [FIXED] At some point after several hours of usage, the internet connection stops working altogether. Disconnecting and reconnecting doesn’t work, neither does restarting the router.
    I tried reinstalling the driver. It worked.
  • Many times when I restart the computer the screen goes blank. I switch it off using the power button and then start it again. After one or two attempts the screen works again. Used the Intel Driver Update Utility and it didn’t find any updates to my current drivers. Checked the support section in the Dell website, but it says all my drivers are up to date. Still, I downloaded and installed the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility. Still no luck.
  • After my last restart Windows displayed a warning message:
    Windows se recuperó de un cierre inesperado

Firma con problemas:

Nombre del evento de problema:  BlueScreen

Versión del sistema operativo:        6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Id. de configuración regional:         2057

Información adicional del problema:

BCCode:                 1000009f

BCP1:                      0000000000000004

BCP2:                      0000000000000258

BCP3:                      FFFFFA8003CDD040

BCP4:                      FFFFF80000B9A4D0

OS Version:            6_1_7601

Service Pack:          1_0

Product:                 768_1

Archivos que ayudan a describir el problema:

C:\Windows\Minidump\100716-22900-01.dmp

C:\Users\Alonso\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-610977-0.sysdata.xml

It offers to look for a solution online, but the only actual option available is “Check later”. I checked that one and the message closed.

Late October - Asked my insurance company technical support

They installed Superantispyware, Malwarebytes AntiMalware and Advanced System Care. Scanned the PC with all of them. MBAM and SASW found a lot of tracking cookies. I think they also found other suspicious files, including several trojans, although none seemed to be actually running. However, I can’t remember exactly what they found, and it looks like the logs have disappeared, maybe since I did the install repair. The problems remain.

4 November – Running antimalware software

Complete antivirus scan with Panda: Nothing significant found (just something in the Recycle bin).

Ran Advanced System Care full system optimization. Everything ran fine, but it informs me that IE and Java are not updated. The update of Java was straightforward, but updating IE was very troublesome.

5 November – Updating IE

I have IE 9 and the last version is IE 11. I download the last version, but the installation fails. The support page suggests uninstalling IE 9 before installing IE 11. I do so. Still doesn’t work.

I try the installation from Windows Update. It doesn’t work, error code 9C59. I google that error code and find a Microsoft forum thread with possible solutions:

• Updating the Windows Update service. Instructions: support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/949104. Doesn’t work.
  • Installing a 'platform update' for Windows 7 that can resolve the 9C59 error: support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838. IT WORKS!

Can you help me with these? Thank you in advance.

Edited by Alonshow, 07 November 2016 - 10:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:46 AM

Can i ask for the link to repair install tutorial you have followed?

If your computer is infected repair install won't resolve any issue and it will not disinfect your computer.

You can ask for malware removal help at this forums BC have malware removal experts.

You can scan your computer for malware infections with Malwarebytes, Eset Online Scanner and HitmanPro programs.

Have you executed SFC /Scannow command from Command Prompt?

If you are getting blue screen of death you can ask for assistance for blue screen of death at this forum.

Thank you for the detailed post about your issues but for to be clear about which issues you want us to help can you list them one at time please.

Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

I would uninstall Advanced System Care...and follow that with running the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition...and follow that with running the sfc /scannow command.  That program is a registry/cleaner/optimizer and BC does not support the use of such.

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

#4 Alonshow

Alonshow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:57 PM

Can i ask for the link to repair install tutorial you have followed?

If your computer is infected repair install won't resolve any issue and it will not disinfect your computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

I know, but I don't know if my computer is infected! I was just trying different things.

You can scan your computer for malware infections with Malwarebytes, Eset Online Scanner and HitmanPro programs.

Would you recommend installing and running all of them or choosing one?

I have Spybot. It doesn't find anything apart from cookies. The antispyware that comes with Advanced System Care doesn't find anything either.

Have you executed SFC /Scannow command from Command Prompt?

If you are getting blue screen of death you can ask for assistance for blue screen of death at this forum.

Thank you for the detailed post about your issues but for to be clear about which issues you want us to help can you list them one at time please.

SFC /Scannow says everything is fine.

I only had the BSOD once. I included it in my first post because I wanted to give as much detail as possible, but I haven't had that problem again.

I have edited the first post to make it more clear. I'd like to get help to solve the three major issues. Help with the others would also be appreciated, but it's not essential.

I would uninstall Advanced System Care...and follow that with running the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition...and follow that with running the sfc /scannow command.  That program is a registry/cleaner/optimizer and BC does not support the use of such.

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

Uninstalled. I guess that chkdsk will take a few hours, so I'll leave it running over night and get back to you.

Edited by Alonshow, 07 November 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:04 PM

Uninstall Advanced System Care these kind of program cause lot more errors than they mention program can repair.

If you only had one BSOD than no need to worry it happens to us all time to time.

Install all Windows updates and latest device drivers.

Uninstall all third party antivirus and firewall programs before doing repair install of Windows 7.

Also check the C: partition for errors by typing Chkdsk C:  /r  command within Command Prompt.

Scan your computer for malware infection first update MalwareBytes and scan your computer when scan your computer with HitmanPro when scan finish scan your computer with Eset Online Scanner.

Please report back with results of these scans.

Edited by FreeBooter, 07 November 2016 - 06:05 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Alonshow

Alonshow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:19 AM

Hi, it's been a lot of time, partly because it took me long to follow your suggestions and partly because I've been away.

This is my progress so far:

• Uninstalled System Care Pro.
  • sfc /scannow: No problems found.
  • chkdsk /r: Looks like it hasn’t found anything significant. Anyway, I attach the log copied from the event viewer, just in case: Attached File  chkdsk.txt   5.35KB   0 downloads
  • Hitman Pro: Found uTorrent and some cookies. Log attached: Attached File  HitmanPro_20161115_2313.log   9.85KB   0 downloads
  • Malwarebytes AntiMalware: Found nothing (run after Hitman).
  • ESET online scanner: This is the one that keeps me stuck. It finds more stuff, but every time it runs it crashes or freezes after a few hours. I don't know if it's possible to check what it finds before it crashes.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:29 PM

We don't entertain malware possibilities in this particular forum.  If you want to do a malware check...I suggest you start a new topic in the Am I Infected forum.

How does the system run today?

Louis

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:38 PM

I keep making mistake giving advice to scan computer for malware infection which not allow by BC rules,hamluis correct you should ask for malware infection checkup at Am I Infected forum.

Posted Image

#9 Alonshow

Alonshow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:21 PM

OK, thank you guys, sorry for my mistake. I've started to check the previous steps to request help in that forum and will create a thread when I'm finished (if the previous steps aren't enough to solve the problem). It would be useful to keep this thread to use it as reference when (if) I use the "Am I infected" forum, though.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:42 PM

No need to create new thread just report back the result in this thread and let us know what need to be repaired.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users