Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with lighted keyboard going dead

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alphanguy

Alphanguy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:04 AM

I have a nighthawk lighted mechanical keyboard, and when hooked into my USB hub (I've tried external powered hubs, and non powered ones) The keyboard just goes dead at random times. If I unplug it and then plug back in, it comes back on.. only to go off again, either 5 minutes or 30 minutes later. This usb hub is connected to the computer using a 20 foot usb extension cable. When I plug the keybaord directly into the back of my computer with no extension or usb hub, it works fine and never goes dead. Reccommendations?

Edited by Alphanguy, 07 November 2016 - 05:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:39 AM

FWIW:  Recommended max length of USB extension cable is approx 16 feet.

FWIW

Louis

#3 Alphanguy

Alphanguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

FWIW:  Recommended max length of USB extension cable is approx 16 feet.

FWIW

Louis

And here is my next problem... I bought a 15 foot extension cable, and the problem still persisted. In fact, it was worse.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

Well...you only have 3 suspects...the keyboard, the connecting cable, your system.

You can validate the extension cable by connecting a different USB device to the system via it.  Which may also validate the system or the keyboard.

Process of elimination.

Louis

#5 Alphanguy

Alphanguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:30 PM

Well...you only have 3 suspects...the keyboard, the connecting cable, your system.

You can validate the extension cable by connecting a different USB device to the system via it.  Which may also validate the system or the keyboard.

Process of elimination.

Louis

Here is what I am wondering. It isn't the keyboard, because it works perfectly when plugged directly into the tower. I have my mouse plugged intot he same USB hub and extension cable, and it never goes dead. Considering this is a backlit machanical keyboard, with each key having it's own LED, I'm just wondering if it's too much of a power draw? I know some hubs and extension cables maybe deliver better power than others, could that be the problem? And what brand do you think might provide better power?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

Those questions...must be answered by someone with a lot more knowleedge than I possess...sorry :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users