Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-Fi Sort Of Fast, Then Slows Down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cypod

Cypod

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:51 PM

My laptop's wireless connection starts out relatively fast at first, then gradually drops to a slow speed. I get about 7.6 Mbps on my wired connection - very fast considering I am only paying for 6. But when using wireless, speeds can start out as high as 6 Mbps but slow to about 1.5 Mbps about 20 minutes later, and are down to .5 Mbps after 45 minutes. Signal strength is not an issue (80% & up anywhere in my home) and it does the same thing right next to the router. I am not sharing a channel with any other devices.  

I replaced the wireless card with a new one twice and also re-installed the driver, but it made no difference. Running the computer in Safe Mode doesn't help. The computer has been updated to Windows 10. I was using Windows 7, but the issue existed before the update (the wiI-fi actually seems to work a bit better in Win 10).

The laptop - an HP DV6t-7000 - previously had wireless speeds just as fast as the wired connection. I currently have several other computers and a ps3 running off of the same U-verse router and all have consistently fast wireless connections, so it's not the router.

I have also tried repairing/resetting the TCP/IP stack, as well as changing various adapter settings but none of that has any effect.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:13 AM

Your issue is cause by wireless router if it was driver or wireless card issue would have been repaired when you have replaced the wireless card with a new once twice. Reset the router and install latest firmware for your wireless router.

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:50 AM

Why did you quit using the built in wifi on this computer?

When you upgraded to Windows 10 did you search for wifi drivers for this operating system?

previously had wireless speeds just as fast as the wired connection.

You are mistaken,Ethernet will always be faster than a wifi connection.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:53 PM

Your issue is cause by wireless router if it was driver or wireless card issue would have been repaired when you have replaced the wireless card with a new once twice. Reset the router and install latest firmware for your wireless router.

I'm actually on my third router and the issue with this laptop has been the same with all of them. As mentioned previously, I also have several other devices currently using the same wireless connection and the speed on those is fine.

#5 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:56 PM

Why did you quit using the built in wifi on this computer?

- I didn't; my original post refers to the stock internal plug-in wireless card. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

When you upgraded to Windows 10 did you search for wifi drivers for this operating system?

- Yes.

previously had wireless speeds just as fast as the wired connection.

You are mistaken,Ethernet will always be faster than a wifi connection.

- Technically yes, but in in my case it's hard to tell the difference in actual use. Running speedtest.net using another laptop shows very similar results (within about 75kbps) on both wired & wireless connections, so I am calling them the "same" here for the purpose of resolving this issue.

Edited by Cypod, 07 November 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:12 PM

You should ask for malware infections checkup, BC has malware removal experts.

2GvnEq2.gif

#7 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:20 AM

I doubt that it's a malware problem.

The machine is routinely scanned for malware using Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and I haven't found anything of note. I'm also using the built-in Windows 10 scanner (& before moving from Win 7, Panda Free A/V) and nothing has shown up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users